PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP, I cannot install ubuntu on my laptop

gaosheeis
November 15th, 2008, 02:22 PM
:( I bought my new laptop recently, however, i cannot install ubuntu on it, neither version8.10 nor 8.04. The problem is that the screen becomes black suddenly during the installation. I don't know. is it the hardware problem?

some parameters about my laptop:
Intel Core 2 Duo (P8600 - 2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB); 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 RAM; 250GB SATA HDD; Internal Dual Layer DVD Super Multi Writer; Intel GMA X4500HD (max. 384MB shared); 14.1" Superfine (Backlight LED) WXGA TFT (1280 x 800 pixel);

gaosheeis
November 15th, 2008, 02:24 PM
I bought my new laptop(Fujitsu S6520N) recently, however, i cannot install ubuntu on it, neither version8.10 nor 8.04. The problem is that the screen becomes black suddenly during the installation. I don't know. is it the hardware problem?

Intel Core 2 Duo (P8600 - 2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB); 2GB (1 x 2GB) DDR3-1066 RAM; 250GB SATA HDD; Internal Dual Layer DVD Super Multi Writer; Intel GMA X4500HD (max. 384MB shared); 14.1" Superfine (Backlight LED) WXGA TFT (1280 x 800 pixel);

oilchangeguy
November 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
try the alternate cd

Mr_JMM
November 15th, 2008, 02:27 PM
At what point does the screen turn black?

Are you installing from a CD? Did you verify the iso image before burning?

Could it just be a screen saver (what happens when you press a key)?

dark_harmonics
November 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
:( I bought my new laptop recently, however, i cannot install ubuntu on it, neither version8.10 nor 8.04. The problem is that the screen becomes black suddenly during the installation. I don't know. is it the hardware problem?

Try the alternate CD install instead.
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

gaosheeis
November 15th, 2008, 02:32 PM
try the alternate cd

I installed from the live CD, and i have verified the CD. At first i can select the installation language correctly, but after that, the screen became black..

shredder12
well i don't think there is any problem with your laptop...( believe me its far better than what ubuntu really needs.. ;) )

Well please specify in which step do you get this problem..

newaz..i think you are probably talking about the phase when you start the final step of installation.. there it shows the progress bar.. and after a while the screen fades to black..If i am right then its not a problem..jst move your mouse a bit here and there. and your problem will be solved..or a even better way keep doing something on you screen every 10 min..i mean have some mouse movements..this will prevent the screens fading to black..

gaosheeis
At what point does the screen turn black?

Are you installing from a CD? Did you verify the iso image before burning?

Could it just be a screen saver (what happens when you press a key)?

No response when i press any key..

Rocket2DMn
November 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Threads merged - please don't create multiple threads with the same question. It isn't fair to those helping you and it doesn't get you more or better answers. Thank you and good luck with your problem.

shredder12
November 15th, 2008, 02:42 PM
jst specify when does the screen turns black..??

CatKiller
November 15th, 2008, 03:58 PM
When you boot from the cd, you get to an Ubuntu menu asking what you want to do. At the bottom is a list of keys that you can press to change options from the default. One of them - I believe it is F4 - will let you change the graphics options. You should be able to change it to VGA rather than the autodetected method. The resolution will be lower, but you should still be able to do things. Once Ubuntu is installed, you can fix the graphics problem.

gpsmikey
November 15th, 2008, 04:21 PM
When I was installing 8.10 on my old Dell GX150, I saw the issue another person mentioned - part way through the auto-install process, the screen fades to black (and no mouse motion etc seemed to get it back), however, I just let it go and it came back by itself and seems to work fine. Tried it twice and it acted the same way. Been running fine for a week, so I figured it was something in the install (but it would be nice if you had some warning it was going to just "fade away" for some minutes !!)

mikey

mapes12
November 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Some initial question so that we can try and help you out:

1. Do you already have another operating system on your machine, for example windoze?

2. Can you run Ubunto from the Live CD i.e without attempting to load it to your hard drive?

3. Have you carried out any partitioning work on your machine ahead of your intended installation? See here for info about what I'm talking about - http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

shredder12
November 15th, 2008, 06:17 PM
hey i don't think that you really need to worry..while installint it always happens .. jst leave it as it is for sometime.. it will return after sometime..its jst a sort of screen saver. I don't think you should worry about it at all...jst try leaving it as it is for sometime.. and see what happens...

dark_harmonics
November 17th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I installed from the live CD, and i have verified the CD. At first i can select the installation language correctly, but after that, the screen became black..
Yes understood. Try the alternate CD please. On one of my laptops it was the only way to get it installed. Others have mentioned the fact that power saving features turn off your screen as well. Maybe there is something wrong with that on your computer. if you want to use the cd you have (and not just try the alternate installer) then try moving your mouse as it installs.

hyby
March 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hi I was wondering if the OP managed to get ubuntu installed?