PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Static IP

Komarus
November 15th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Hi,

here a beginners question:

I use Wireless Lan with static IP instead DHCP. I can fix the IP in the Network-settings and I'll be able to be online.
But if I'll restart my laptop, I can't connect anymore until I open the network-settings and repeat there my password.

Excuse my english... it's not the very best, but I hope, you understood my question.

Thx

Dietbert

Majorix
November 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Getting a static ip on Ubuntu with the tools provided isn't easy.

Try WICD (http://wicd.sourceforge.net/download.php). Read the section for Ubuntu.

Peter09
November 15th, 2008, 12:41 PM
You may not be able to do this but if you can its the best way of getting a static IP.

If you are using a router that supports DHCP then enable it. Then you will have a section concerning your LAN where you can link the MAC address of your machine to an IP. So, everytime your machine connects to the router and asks for an IP it will get the same one - the one you have allocated.

Gone fishing
November 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM
In the latest Ubuntu 8.10 it relatively easy to set a fixed IP address using the applet in the top panel on earlier versions you need to go to Administration > Network and then turn roaming off and set up the card manually.

Alternatively you can edit /etc/network/interfaces

gksu gedit /etc/network/interfaces

mine looks like

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface wlan0 inet static
address 192.168.1.224
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
wireless-key s:axxxxxxxxxxxx
wireless-essid fish

auto wlan0