PDA

View Full Version : Not To Beat A Dead Bush But Holy Crap (yahoo)

nakama85
November 15th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I know I am ranting about what has already been discussed but I have no understanding as to why linux users are left out in the cold.

You would think that sense yahoo has been beaten to death by google they would want to keep as wide of a user base as possible on the only thing they have left going for them. YMessenger!!!

There is no logical reason that I should have to boot into XP via VBOX just to use YM. Yahoo should just update YM for linux users. I believe this would add several hundred-thousand users to their base.

I do realise there are other programs that will enable voice and webcam for a yahoo client but being the very novice user that I am I can not figure out how to do this and I feel I should not have to spend hours jumping through hoops just to get it to work. Furthermore It should not be the responsibility of other developers to spend their time to make a YM client that supports this.

This all being said. I will gladly take suggestions on other clients that support both voice and cam for yahoo. I tried Gyachi but I cant get that to work and it seems it is no longer being developed.

N-E-Ways... What are your thoughts?

zmjjmz
November 15th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Kopete should do.

nakama85
November 15th, 2008, 08:07 AM
does kopete have voice and cam? is it easy to use?

kernelhaxor
November 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
But Google doesn't support Linux much either. (look at Chrome, Google Talk) But they are better than yahoo though .. they hav something in development ..

If you find a YM client for linux which supports webcam and voice, let me know too please!

3rdalbum
November 15th, 2008, 10:36 AM
As far as I know, nothing on Linux supports voice and video on Yahoo. Kopete supports video only. If Flash supports your webcam, you can do V&V on meebo.com. Or, get your friends to install Skype; you'll find that the audio and video quality are better, and you can do V&V cross platform including Linux.

loell
November 15th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I tried Gyachi but I cant get that to work and it seems it is no longer being developed.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=773802

:)

yeah, its dead. :-$

mrgnash
November 15th, 2008, 10:59 AM
It's not awfully 'cold' outside the range of Yahoo's favor. Google trounce them in every way, including instant-messaging.