PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] MPEG-2 video newb

vague jayhawk
November 15th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hello.

I am pretty new to Ubuntu and very new to video.

I bought a camcorder and it seems to record MPEG-2 video. I have downloaded the video from the camera HD and can view it on it just fine to Ubuntu despite Sony's proprietary codes. Now what?

I would like to put it on disc for family, but it seems even a video that is 1:20 is 86.6 MB. These seem a little large. Am I missing something here?

Do I need to chose a video editing program? Did I fail to compress it, or convert it to another format? Should I do those things?

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 07:10 AM
check out this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-182392.html

vague jayhawk
November 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, that is certainly a good start. I was just going through some other threads discussing which editor was better.

I will try some of them out and see which is the easiest for me to learn. I guess since I am new to video, I am wondering if 90 MB for a 1:30 video sounds reasonable, or if I did something wrong. I am not going to get much video on discs at that size.

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 07:26 AM
You can always convert it to a smaller format. Most camcorders record DV which is higher quality, but very big. It is uncompressed. Think of WAV files from a CD vs mp3. With whatever editor you choose, you can always convert it to a more compressed format that will meet your needs.