PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] oh dear god please help me i need video games

paininurhead
November 15th, 2008, 06:45 AM
help me i have installed ubuntu completely from scratch on my new computer and i want dual boot windows now this damn computer cant see any drives while am booting from the windows CD PLEASE HELP ME I need my diablo 2

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 06:46 AM
xp or vista?

paininurhead
November 15th, 2008, 06:47 AM
XP quick and easy i would think please help

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Umm, it's really a better idea to install Windows then Ubuntu. I really doubt that this has caused your problems, but when they are fixed, keep this in mind.

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 06:49 AM
not neccessarily. If it is a new computer, it likely has sata drives. XP installer doesn't have them. You need to put them on a floppy (if you have a floppy drive) and load them when it asks if you have any drivers (i think it asks you to hit f6). or you can slipstream them into the image and reburn it.

Very true about the window THEN Ubuntu

But Your issue is the SATA drivers

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
I've done literally 10 or more XP installs with SATA hard drives just fine.

Did they include them with SP2? Is that it?

paininurhead
November 15th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Where might I find these SATA drivers? Cause i am srtarting from scratch

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 07:19 AM
I've done literally 10 or more XP installs with SATA hard drives just fine.

Did they include them with SP2? Is that it?

were you using a genuine windows xp cd? Last month I put xp on a qozmio laptop and had to slipstream the drivers into the image. There are all kinds of tutorials for it.

PAININURHEAD:
You will need to find your sata controller. In the Ubuntu live cd open a terminal and type in

lspci
and look for a line that looks similar to

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)

the make and model may be different, but look for the SATA controller.
Then employ google to find your drivers and follow this tutorial if you have a floppy drive http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_install_windows_operating_system.shtml

or this one if you don't (though you will need to use a windows computer) http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Mardoct909
November 15th, 2008, 07:24 AM
were you using a genuine windows xp cd? Last month I put xp on a qozmio laptop and had to slipstream the drivers into the image. There are all kinds of tutorials for it.

I don't know if I'd use the word genuine...

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 07:29 AM
most retooled images would have the drivers slipstreamed in.