PDA

View Full Version : Need a solution for my car at the parking lot!

kennethsmith
November 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM
Hi everyone, most of us have the habit of forgetting something particular all the time. I always end up forgetting my car at the parking lot. I am somewhat not comfortable in saying this, but yes, there have been many instances like this with me and I can’t help myself out. I do re
member to carry my iPhone with me but am helpless on the issue of my car. There might be someone like me who can answer my problems as to what do they do or would hope some good suggestions from you people so that I can be comfortable when finding my car in the lot.

Thanks in advance!

adult swim
November 15th, 2008, 06:24 AM
an ubuntu forum seems an unlikely place to ask this question, but i digress.

since you never forget your iphone how about take a wide picture of your car everytime you leave it. when you cant find your car, look at the picture and then see if you cant find a similar area in the parking lot

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 06:41 AM
find a good lifehacker type site and see if someone can figure out a way to duplicate the signal from your keyrings alarm remote contol. build a small broadcaster radio device thingamabobber and let it rip. Then follow the sound of your car alarm.

This idea inspired by.....
everytime I try to catch the news on public radio and some so-and-so listening to the worst rap or easy listening garbage comes near me with his fm-ipod adapter, thereby subjecting me to his (or her)* twisted musical choices!

*equal opportunity statement

doumakes
November 15th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Carry a toilet plunger around in your car.

When you park, stick the plunger on the roof so you can spot your car at a distance.

Decorate the plunger as needed, to distinguish your car from all the other cards wearing toilet plungers.

eternalnewbee
November 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi everyone, most of us have the habit of forgetting something particular all the time. I always end up forgetting my car at the parking lot. I am somewhat not comfortable in saying this, but yes, there have been many instances like this with me and I can’t help myself out. I do re
member to carry my iPhone with me but am helpless on the issue of my car. There might be someone like me who can answer my problems as to what do they do or would hope some good suggestions from you people so that I can be comfortable when finding my car in the lot.

Meditate. Focus on where you leave your car, and stop playing with your iPhone! Use a Uphone[-o<

73ckn797
November 15th, 2008, 04:19 PM
If your car has a radio antenna, attach a bright orange or yellow ball on the tip end. If it has a remote press the lock button several times to make the system beep or toot the horn or you can press the panic button. You would have to hold the remote above your head and press the button(s) as you point it in different directions.

You could take the bus but only if you could remember where the bus stop is!!

Cobbs
November 15th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Or you could go with the classical solution as used Thesus in Daedalus' labyrinth. Simply find a magic rope and tie it to the car, and let it unwind as you move away from your vehicle. When you need to find your car again, just follow the rope back and wind it up as you go.

chucky chuckaluck
November 15th, 2008, 04:39 PM
be the car.

73ckn797
November 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Be the parking space and you will always know where you are.

eternalnewbee
November 15th, 2008, 05:24 PM
Just be...

pp.
November 15th, 2008, 07:04 PM
(1) Always park your car in the same place.

(2) sell the car. Keep the receipt so that you will know in the future that you sold it.

(3) forget your car. Buy a new one whenever you fail to find the current one.

(4) install a computer with GPS and UTMS or similar in your car. Run a cron job which mails every n minutes its current position to your mail account. Use your iPhone or similar to receive those mails. Write down your eMail address and your password with indelible ink on the iPhone.

Er - do not use that eMail account for anything else.

(5) report you car as stolen.

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks in advance!
Take a radio.

Remove all unnecessary parts like the speaker and install DSL on it. Take a Walkman and install DSL on it too. Create a new search algorithm to give you directional advice my tapping into a passerby's cell phone, searching Google Maps and using an open source version of text aloud. Then follow these directions to your car.

Or, you could attach an I Love Linux flag to your car antenna and locate it that way. Even if you get to the wrong car, you have at least found a new friend with whom you can share Linux stories. ;)