PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No menu text! (Amarok and winecfg)

JohoTehAzn
November 15th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Hello,

I recently installed 8.10 x64 on my desktop, which is several years old but capable of running Ubuntu just fine. A problem has arisen--some of the menu text in Amarok is invisible, and I cannot see any of the text in winecfg.

In Amarok, the text briefly becomes visible when I mouse over the menu options; as for my music library, when I expand an artist, the entire library text becomes visible.

However, in winecfg, I cannot see a thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have never ran into this problem before.

JohoTehAzn
November 18th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Anyone? I'm pretty stumped here. And to my knowledge, these are the only two programs that I have this problem with.

Both Firefox and Pidgin are fine.

eduardoska
November 25th, 2008, 04:31 AM
I have the exact same problem with those programs too!

IceReaver75
November 25th, 2008, 06:11 AM
are you using a nvidia card with the 96 drivers enabled by chance? if so there is a work around that might help some.

eduardoska
November 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Yes using a nvidia card with beta drivers!
Can you tell us how to work around this??

IceReaver75
November 25th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I had the menu problems with open office and amarok and did these changes listed here on the nvidia sit using the 96 drivers

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122695

this is with the Geforce 6200 card and the 96.43.09 driver and it fixed all the problems I had plus It seems to have made a boost in glxgears. I was using the 180 beta drivers and was getting 700-800 fps with glxgears after making the changes glxgears was reporting 1200-1300 fps. Hopefully this will work for you too.

DoezyDoe
January 30th, 2009, 11:29 AM
had same problem with my old computer, ended up having to turn off visual effects under appearance... sucked but it solved it