PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] S.O.S. Please.... My Dell Dimension 4300 Requests A Terminal Command For Login....?

Unixilandia0110
November 15th, 2008, 03:02 AM
Greetings! I'm a new on the forum, and I have a question. I recently got an older Dell Dimension Desktop 4300 that I want to use to learn more about Linux Distros.
I installed Ubuntu Home Studio and all went well, except for when I booted up, and then the machine would NOT accept my password. Instead I get a prompt that reads like this: root@ubuntu:~#
I've tried using my password, and it won't allow me to log in. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
PS: I believe it's asking for some type of terminal command but I have searched and cannot find a suitable solution. Warm regards to all here at the forum. Unixilandia 0110

littlebat
November 15th, 2008, 05:08 AM
1, check if you login with single mode (rescure mode)
2, check if your /home/yourname exist;
3, after "root@ubuntu:", type "su yourcommonusername", then type "startx"(I am not sure if it will work)

Unixilandia0110
November 16th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Thank you very much "Littlebat" for your input. I'll try what you suggest. I'm determined to learn more about terminal or commands. I'm going to get some books or videos. Take care! :)