PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] System > Pref >Apprearance can't find installed themes

blake82
November 15th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Hi Everyone,

The appearance preferences can't see *ANY* installed themes. There's only a custom theme that looks more like a default theme.

I've reinstalled the default themes from synaptic, I can see the themes in /usr/share/themes.... but I can't use any of them.

This all started yesterday when I accidentally filled up my ext3 partition and the system started acting really strange. I expanded the partition and all but one of the problems went away except this one.

I suspect this was triggered by the lack of space, and that there's a simple fix for it, I just don't know what it is.

Let me know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks,

Blake

bswilson
November 15th, 2008, 12:17 AM
If you think that the disks are perhaps causing a problem, you could run an interactive file system check. Hit Ctrl-Alt-1 to get to a non-graphical TTY, then stop the GUI, run a filesystem check, then reboot.

From a separate TTY, run these commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

sudo fsck -r

Then reboot.

blake82
November 19th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, that didn't fix it though.

The themes are installed, the problem is that appearance isn't seeing them (even though I can)

I suspect that a file that points to the themes was deleted or corrupted, where could I find this file? And how could I fix it?

Tomatz
November 20th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Try manually installing a theme from here:

http://www.gnome-look.org/index.php?xsortmode=down&page=0&xcontentmode=100

Download a theme

then

Just go to preferences, appearance, install (button) to install it.

;)

blake82
November 20th, 2008, 12:50 AM
Again, thanks!