PDA

View Full Version : What is the point of Microsoft's Visual Studio?

Fosfate
November 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
What is the point of Visual Studio? Just Rapid Application Development?

Isn't it more powerful to use other languages and other compilers?

What are some examples of desktop software written using Visual Studio?

oldsoundguy
November 14th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Adobe Premier BURIES visual studio in the compost pile!

Adobe is the primary reason I still have a Windows computer.

IF there were comparable INTER TIED programs that were nearly as good in Linux, I would not renew my Adobe licenses. As of now, some are getting close, but still do not talk to each other through a common program such as Bridge or Lightroom.

jimi_hendrix
November 14th, 2008, 11:49 PM
the microsoft name sells to the majority of the world...

also i kinda like the ide when writting C# but detest their C++ idea because they butchar the language

escapee
November 15th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Adobe Premier BURIES visual studio in the compost pile!

Adobe is the primary reason I still have a Windows computer.

IF there were comparable INTER TIED programs that were nearly as good in Linux, I would not renew my Adobe licenses. As of now, some are getting close, but still do not talk to each other through a common program such as Bridge or Lightroom.

You're thinking Pinnacle Studio. Visual Studio is Microsoft's IDE.

oldsoundguy
November 15th, 2008, 12:22 AM
You're thinking Pinnacle Studio. Visual Studio is Microsoft's IDE.

you are 100% correct!! LOL

This is the basura (garbage):
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/default.aspx

And, cloud computing? I really think not with the current stability/security of the web as long as there are MS servers that can and will get hacked or crash for no apparent reason!!

grepgav
November 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
As a Linux user who worked with Visual Studio all summer, I can say there are some benefits, but there are also many frustrations.

It is bloated, sometimes slow, and overwhelming if you just want to code.

It does do a good job of incorporating gui design, to editing, to compilation, to debugging all in the same program. Also features like intellisense are well....addicting. Once you use it for a while and get used to the dropdowns it takes a little adjustment to get back to c programming in vim :).

There are obviously tons more features like SQL server management integrated, and tying in all sorts of other components of development.

Overall I there are some nice pieces to it but the proper setup in Linux does a better job of staying out of your way so that you can just focus on working.

samjh
November 15th, 2008, 02:39 AM

1. Rapid Application Development using visual GUI design tools and code generators.

2. Project management involving numerous programmers in geographically dispersed locations.

3. Source code protection and version control.

4. General IDE-related features like refactoring, code navigation, debugging, etc.

5. Commercial support from Microsoft itself.

6. De facto industry standard for Windows development means that a project's subcontractors probably use Visual Studio, so code can be easily shared.

7. Complete integration with the Windows enterprise development stack: .NET (C#/VB.NET, ASP.NET, ADO.NET) + MS SQL Server + MSDN documentation

8. More reasons that have escaped my mind. :p

Some people yell out "bloat" when they think about Visual Studio. Usually those people have never had the need for the above points. Eclipse runs more slowly, has a clunky GUI, and less standard features than MS Visual Studio 2003/2005/2008, but it's still the most popular FOSS IDE.

Visual Studio is popular because it fills the needs of many many Windows developers. For them, it definitely has a point (or many points).

Example of desktop software: the vast majority of in-house business utilities that run on Windows; the majority of .NET applications; the majority of Windows-based enterprise applications.

achelis
November 15th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Eclipse isn't slower than VS (actually my school had to upgrade the computers (more memory) when we switched from eclipse to vs...)

I won't go into a Eclipse vs. VS flame war here - this topic is about VS and not Eclipse.

VS has its uses - especially if you're a C# Windows developer. In my experience it follows the "Easy to get started, hard to learn" principle - I guess I never really learned to use it, which left me kind of frustrated (and happy to have finished that particular course, and gotten a job where I work on Linux :) ).. especially the lack of proper source control integration was tough.

As for:
"Isn't it more powerful to use other languages and other compilers?"

Depends what you're developing... Last time I checked VS had support for C++ which is quite powerful for a lot of purposes. And as mentioned VS is good for developing Windows only applications (GUI and stuff).

Obviously if you're writing Linux only stuff there is better IDEs out there - which one is the best is a matter of taste and language.

pmasiar
November 15th, 2008, 04:54 AM
There is big difference between IDE with intellisense, which helps you to write more code faster, and good editor, which helps you to write (and edit and refactor) code in better way. Of course it will be less lines of code (because it will not generate it for you, you often refactor old routime instead of creating another similar one), but measuring productivity of programmer in lines of code is like measuring airplane design in weight of the plane. BTW Bill Gates said that.

IDE allows code monkey to crank more code. Only with lots of discipline it will be better code than if written by skilled programmer using editor good for refactoring.

And of course real gurus can write hundreds of lines of excellent code quickly. Programming is one of few activities where difference between good and bad can be two orders of magnitude. It's like most people jog at 4 miles per hour, but some at 400 miles per hour.

Geekkit
November 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM

In the Windows world no. If they can keep developers locked in and eating from their hand by helping "programmers" not have to think too hard, they'll stay, not complain, and continue to use/buy/promote VS and Windows. It's all about BS and mirrors.

nvteighen
November 15th, 2008, 12:45 PM
What's the point? Obviously: US$