PDA

View Full Version : Codeweaver's Crossover Office

MatthewMetzger
January 1st, 2005, 11:44 PM
Is anyone currently using Cossover Office on Ubuntu? I'm considering purchasing it.

TravisNewman
January 2nd, 2005, 12:47 AM
yup, works like a charm.

iTunes support is buggy at best. It installs, it runs, but the interface is VERY slow to respond. I'm running it on a 1.8 ghz cpu and 512 megs of ram so I don't THINK it's my pc causing that. If I can run half-life 2 with everything hiked up, surely iTunes is not that taxing on the system.

But anyway, Internet Explorer (which I installed once just for the irony, ran it, browsed a few sites, and then uninstalled it), Office XP, and a few other programs that I've installed run beautifully. I actually get better flash performance out of Firefox using the Windows version of the Flash Plugin through cxoffice than I do with the linux version of the flashplayer.

Quest-Master
January 2nd, 2005, 01:10 AM
Only thing I'd use it for is Photoshop, and when I tried to run it, I continuously got a "missing personalization information" error.

xsos
January 2nd, 2005, 03:41 AM
Only thing I'd use it for is Photoshop, and when I tried to run it, I continuously got a "missing personalization information" error.
i use it, and it work fine :D

jakeslife
January 4th, 2005, 05:01 AM
I got it but haven't installed it yet. Has anyone had any experiences with Dreamweaver?

poofyhairguy
January 4th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Is anyone currently using Cossover Office on Ubuntu? I'm considering purchasing it.

I use it for DVDshrink. Lovely.

Zundfolge
January 4th, 2005, 04:37 PM
What is the advantage of Crossover Office over just installing Wine (which is free)?

I installed Wine and Photoshop runs just fine.

crun
January 4th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Zundfolge: what version of Photoshop are you using under Wine? I had no idea regular Wine could already do that; I guess the development pace has picked up since I last looked at it.

I don't run many Windows progs under Linux any more, but when I used Crossover Office 3.0 it was ahead of Wine in the number of programs it supported. My main reasons were Photoshop 7 and Flash 5, both of which ran pretty well.

MatthewMetzger: have a look at Frank's Corner (http://frankscorner.org/) for details on installing Win32 games and progs under Linux.

jdodson
January 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM
I use it for DVDshrink. Lovely.

i am pretty sure you can do that with vanilla wine too.

jdodson
January 4th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Zundfolge: what version of Photoshop are you using under Wine? I had no idea regular Wine could already do that; I guess the development pace has picked up since I last looked at it.

I don't run many Windows progs under Linux any more, but when I used Crossover Office 3.0 it was ahead of Wine in the number of programs it supported. My main reasons were Photoshop 7 and Flash 5, both of which ran pretty well.

MatthewMetzger: have a look at Frank's Corner (http://frankscorner.org/) for details on installing Win32 games and progs under Linux.

according to a developer that emailed me some time back that worked for codeweavers. they claim to give back to the wine tree at regular intervals. people who want to use only vanilla wine might add code to allow photoshop to work "out of the box" too. though the person who got photoshop to work with vanilla wine might be using an older version or the like. there are a lot of versions of photoshop i would be surprised if they all worked "out of the box" in vanilla wine. however, it might be possible.

Zundfolge
January 5th, 2005, 06:21 AM
I'm running Photoshop 7 ... installed it and did zero tweaking to get it to run (only "tweaking" I've done to Wine is to copy all the standard Window's system fonts into Wine's Windows/Fonts folder).

I tried installing InDesign 2.0 and it never made it all the way through the installation but low and behold its installed and running (haven't used it enough to tell if its stable or if any functions don't work, but it runs).

jakeslife
January 14th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Still no testers for Dreamweaver?

Zundfolge
January 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I couldn't get DreamweaverMX to install ... I'll have to dig around and see if I can find an older copy (I know I have the previous version in a box somewhere).

Although over on Frank's Corner he has instructions on geting DreamweaverMX up and running
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=dreamweavermx

jakeslife
January 14th, 2005, 09:35 PM
On the official site it says that Dreamweaver MX should install, but DW MX 2004 has been known not to.

I think that the only thing preventing me from completely switching to *nix is DW and Photoshop.

jakeslife
January 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Okay, I finally got CrossOver Office Pro, and tried to install some things that weren't in their official compatability lists: Hexen 2 (Hexen was in there, but not part 2), Chat Client (a chat program to access a web site I frequently chat on), and a few other programs (Colorspy, etc.).

Nope, nothing installed correctly. Hexen 2 wouldn't work (OpenGL or normal), Chat Client wouldn't even install (it hangs), and Colorspy died.

Oh well!