PDA

View Full Version : Hook a friend ???

kdm
November 14th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Hi again all,

I am really getting in to this Ubuntu thing and I was wondering if there is anywhere (on the main ubuntu site or elsewhere) where one can recommend Ubuntu to a friend by entering their email and a short message, and then this is sent with things such as details & screenshots etc.
I can think of at lease of 2 friends who would love it !

Thanks

Arlo012
November 14th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I haven't ever seen any link indicating that, but that doesn't mean it isn't there somewhere. You could always make your own mini-email explaining Ubuntu though. Make sure to provide a link for them if you do!

avaralom
November 14th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I think I would prefer a more customized email as opposed to a form on a website. Linking them to maybe the main Ubuntu site, the forums and maybe some screenshots of your own system would probably work pretty well.

kdm
November 14th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I thought of creating my own, but my design skills are mediocre, and I am posting in an absolute beginners forum so I was scared of missing something which could have caught a more experienced users attention.
Although maybe I should just give it a go then !
Anyone care to help ?

jimmy the saint
November 14th, 2008, 11:53 PM
I don't know that associating Ubuntu with spam would neccessarily be helpful. I know that is not your intent, but I for one would be a little ticked off if someone were to give my email out to a website in order to share information that could just as easily have been shared by emailing me a link to the main site.
Just my 2 cents.

kdm
November 15th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I think 'spam' is exaggerating a bit.
I am talking about a ONE TIME email to FRIENDS clearly marked with my address. If they were unhappy, I am sure they would let me know. :)

jenkinbr
November 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
I personnaly think it's a great idea. With the form, there would be no need to store anything on anyone's server for more than a few minutes - until the email is sent. There could be form boxes for user-uploadable attachments, a valid return email address would be required, the sender could add a personallized section, etc.

jimmy the saint
November 15th, 2008, 02:38 AM
kdm, don't get me wrong. Doing it yourself is one thing, actually a very good thing. That is the kind of personal initiative that drives the FOSS movement. I was talking about your origional question about the form in which you input a friends email address to generate an automatic email. Of course the Ubuntu team would be unlikely to abuse such information, but many sites would, and do. Spreading the word about Ubuntu in such an informative way is a great idea, but I do think that the personal touch is what makes it so. Auto-emails tend to turn people off. But then, who am I? I've never even sent a text message because I like the personal touch of hearing someones voice, or better yet, actually shaking their hand!

Good Luck!
JTS

kdm
November 15th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I take your point toojimmy the saint in that, like everything on the internet, I suppose such a system would be open to abuse by others.

I still think there may be a place for something like this though, especially if, as jenkinbr suggests, we take the extra precautions like insisting on valid email addresses etc. Another idea would be to limit access to users of this forum with a particular number of post counts - e.g. 10no. It is likely that a genuine Ubuntu user will have clocked up these posts configuring their hardware or finding the Linux equivalents of their favorite windows software, by which time they would be ready to recommend it to a friend anyway. Also, it is likely that a spammer would be spotted well before their 10th post and would thus never gain access to the form. It would also be a lot of hassle for them to go to too just to discredit ubuntu.
Just an idea !