PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Accidentally screwed up menu.lst

Cammy
November 14th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, I'm an idiot. I was trying to add an option to my menu.lst file and I managed to screw it up. So I copied a backup version over, BUT the backup does not seem to have the proper kernel I need. So now when I boot up, my /home/user directory is missing.

Is there any way to get the correct entry into menu.lst, or have I lost everything?

aged hippy
November 14th, 2008, 09:20 PM
If you look in /boot/grub you may find a file named menu.lst~ - which may be the auto-backup of the one you altered.

If it is there, move the present one somewhere, and remove the ~ on the backup. :)

caljohnsmith
November 14th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Just do:

sudo update-grub
and the new kernel should be added to your menu.lst, assuming your "groot" and "kopt" lines in your menu.lst are OK, among other things. If you have any problems with it though, let me know. Otherwise let me know how it goes. :)

aged hippy
November 14th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Just do:

sudo update-grub
and the new kernel should be added to your menu.lst, assuming your "groot" and "kopt" lines in your menu.lst are OK, among other things. If you have any problems with it though, let me know. Otherwise let me know how it goes. :)

That's a handy one to know. :)

Cammy
November 14th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Yes, QUITE useful!

I'm back in my proper kernel again!

caljohnsmith
November 14th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Yes, QUITE useful!

I'm back in my proper kernel again!
That's great news. You might want to backup your menu.lst to have a working copy in case something else happens:

sudo cp /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/menu.lst.backup

Anyway, cheers and have fun. :)