PDA

View Full Version : SourceForge lawsuit

iKonaK
November 14th, 2008, 08:56 PM
it appears sourceforge will have some unwanted attention....
look at the torrentfreak article. (http://torrentfreak.com/record-labels-to-sue-vuze-limewire-and-sourceforge-081114/)
i don't like it at all, what do you think will come next >? :(

Polygon
November 14th, 2008, 09:01 PM
the lawsuit wont go anywhere. Its not the fault of the companies and sourceforge that people are using p2p and torrents for illegal purposes.

i liked this comment on the blog, so i am going to post it here:

While your at it..

Sue VCR’s
Sue TIVOs or DVRs
Sue CD Players
Sue DVD players
Sue the Post office
Sue anyone who has a brain that could possibly copy something in there mind.

Ozor Mox
November 14th, 2008, 09:02 PM
What the hell? I thought these bozo record labels had finally learnt that the creators of applications are not responsible for what the users of them do with them? Why not sue Microsoft because people are using Internet Explorer to download their music illegally as well? And SourceForge isn't even an application, it's a platform for users to develop open source applications!

Pathetic.

steeleyuk
November 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
This extra attention might grab the open source community more users.

iKonaK
November 14th, 2008, 09:05 PM
the lawsuit wont go anywhere. Its not the fault of the companies and sourceforge that people are using p2p and torrents for illegal purposes.
i know, that's why i find it outrageously stupid to even think at that and more; a french court "is allowing the defamation lawsuit to proceed"....

steeleyuk
November 14th, 2008, 09:06 PM
What the hell? I thought these bozo record labels had finally learnt that the creators of applications are not responsible for what the users of them do with them? Why not sue Microsoft because people are using Internet Explorer to download their music illegally as well? And SourceForge isn't even an application, it's a platform for users to develop open source applications!

Pathetic.

Absolutely, by these standards they should be suing the BitTorrent protocol as well (though they wouldn't do that as it has links with movie studios in some shape or other).

wolfen69
November 14th, 2008, 09:19 PM
car manufacturers should be sued too, because they can be used in the commission of crimes.

Sami_Sdata
November 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM
Well, here in the USA lawsuits against firearm manufacturers have been allowed. Last I checked it took a federal law to specifically exempt them from the lawsuits. I'm waiting for the lawsuits against stores that sell alcohol since many of the drunk drivers in the state must have bought their whiskey from those stores. It makes as much sense as the other suits. Also, here in VA you would have some deep pockets to sue since all the hard alcohol is only sold at state run stores.

tuxsheadache
November 14th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I bet it won't work. If it does *shakes head* I'm not sure what I can say for this World..

eragon100
November 14th, 2008, 11:30 PM
I wish them luck against sourceforge... They will need it :lolflag:

perlluver
November 14th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Wow, just a bunch of greedy people. Unbelievable, I am pretty much speechless. Yeah why don't we just shut down Ubuntu and the internet. That should fix it all. Wow...

Eclipse.
November 14th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Lets sue, Samsung.I played an illegal DVD on one of their players.

Total amazement, I'm pretty sure they will soon realise that they wont win.

tuxsheadache
November 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
I think we should sue the entire Internet, I hear there are naked people and pirates on it!

Chame_Wizard
November 15th, 2008, 12:56 AM
are they insane ?SourceForge is way too big to be sued:popcorn:.

TBOL3
November 15th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I think we should sue the entire Internet, I hear there are naked people and pirates on it!

Are you kidding? We should sue the whole world, because their's people that make the bad images on it.

I say bleh, I doubt it will work. The only thing this will amount to is more money for lawyers. But hay, what can I say, their French. (That was a bit of playful sarcasm about them being French).

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 03:59 AM
I've never laughed so hard in my life. I literally fell out of my chair and bruised my nose, which now hurts very bad.

Since they aren't breaking any U.S. nor International Laws, this lawsuit will be thrown out when it reaches U.S. courts (and yes, it has to be settled in the United States to be recognized).

cardinals_fan
November 15th, 2008, 04:48 AM
are they insane ?SourceForge is way too big to be sued:popcorn:.
What? Corporations far larger than Sourceforge have been sued many times before. Ever hear about Pennzoil v. Texaco? Texaco was forced to pay over $9 billion.

I've never laughed so hard in my life. I literally fell out of my chair and bruised my nose, which now hurts very bad.

Since they aren't breaking any U.S. nor International Laws, this lawsuit will be thrown out when it reaches U.S. courts (and yes, it has to be settled in the United States to be recognized).
Same here.

lovinglinux
November 15th, 2008, 06:18 AM
I don't know what is more nonsense, suing sourceforge or a charity organization (http://torrentfreak.com/charity-forced-to-pay-copyright-police-so-kids-can-sing-071209/) because the children choir was singing Christmas Carols without paying license fees.

Be careful, don't go outside this Christmas without a lawyer on speed-dial.

"Outrageous!" - Judge Clark Brown

FuturePilot
November 15th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Outrageous! Just....:evil:

Sami_Sdata
November 15th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I don't think the point of the lawsuit is to win money. The point is to cost Sourceforge as much money and resources as possible. Often suits get decided by the bigger pocketbooks not by the best case.

EdThaSlayer
November 15th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Can we sue them for trying to sue us?
:)

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 06:21 PM
it appears sourceforge will have some unwanted attention....
look at the torrentfreak article. (http://torrentfreak.com/record-labels-to-sue-vuze-limewire-and-sourceforge-081114/)
i don't like it at all, what do you think will come next >? :(
But really, I have a simple solution. Shut down the intranets. All of them. NO PIRATE WILL EXIST!!! :roll:

I know that bittorrenting can be used to break the law, or to breach copyright, but so can a telephone. Let's get rid of them too...

billgoldberg
November 15th, 2008, 06:24 PM
One word:

pathetic

pseudosupport
November 15th, 2008, 06:34 PM
This is more than pathetic, it's downright insanity. They're calling for all p2p clients to have a feature that magically detects whether the files being downloaded are violating copyrights. How the hell are they supposed to do that? It's impossible, otherwise the governments of the world would already be doing that. Ten bucks says that Bill Gates and/or Steve Jobs is funding this ******** case through a dummy corporation. Whatever, it won't change anything; even if they take down sourceforge; sourceforge v2 will be up a week later.

Skripka
November 15th, 2008, 06:48 PM
This is more than pathetic, it's downright insanity. They're calling for all p2p clients to have a feature that magically detects whether the files being downloaded are violating copyrights. How the hell are they supposed to do that? It's impossible.

Exactly. What better way to shut something down completely via law, than by imposing impossible to satisfy technical demands?

Legally speaking, it is rather brilliant.

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 07:08 PM
If I make and sell bombs, it is not my responsibility on how people use it. I doubt there's a "Are you going to use this for blowing up living things, esp. humans? Y/N?" switch on the side of it.

Chame_Wizard
November 15th, 2008, 07:29 PM
They want money.

Dr Evil:"Show me the money". (x3)http://i.fok.nl/s/yes_new.gif

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 07:34 PM
If I make and sell bombs, it is not my responsibility on how people use it. I doubt there's a "Are you going to use this for blowing up living things, esp. humans? Y/N?" switch on the side of it.
See, bombs are not an example I would use. Bombs are only used for killing people. I would use the word "explosives" as there can be many legitimate uses, such as construction and/or landscaping. Even then the example is not one I would use.

tom66
November 15th, 2008, 07:44 PM
It's like suing a compiler developer, who developed part of a compiler for a kernel developer because they wrote a part of Linux which got embedded in a truck/pickup ECU and entertainment unit which was subsequently used to rob a bank for several dollars.

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 08:34 PM
It's like suing a compiler developer, who developed part of a compiler for a kernel developer because they wrote a part of Linux which got embedded in a truck/pickup ECU and entertainment unit which was subsequently used to rob a bank for several dollars.
SHHH! Don't give Microsoft ideas!

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 08:35 PM
See, bombs are not an example I would use. Bombs are only used for killing people. I would use the word "explosives" as there can be many legitimate uses, such as construction and/or landscaping. Even then the example is not one I would use.
A bomb is just a modified form of the word "Explosive". Bombs/Explosives may be used for many tasks, but they are somewhat often used for military or idealistic purposes.

Bombs/Explosives are used for mining, landscaping, destruction of objects, cooking turkeys, and some lesser than morally good reasons.

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 08:40 PM
A bomb is just a modified form of the word "Explosive". Bombs/Explosives may be used for many tasks, but they are somewhat often used for military or idealistic purposes.

Bombs/Explosives are used for mining, landscaping, destruction of objects, cooking turkeys, and some lesser than morally good reasons.
Ah, okay. I just thought that bombs/explosives were like hacking/cracking. Each with different meanings.

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Ah, okay. I just thought that bombs/explosives were like hacking/cracking. Each with different meanings.
Think of Bomb like a connotation of Explosive, only it really does mean "Booming or Buzzing sound".

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Cool! Filed away with my Interesting Facts That No One Seems To Know Or Care About But Me section of my brain. :D

Old Marcus
November 15th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Tell you what, sue Faraday! He invented electricity!

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Tell you what, sue Faraday! He invented electricity!
No! Sue Newton! Without him, all the stealers would float off into space without gravity!

pseudosupport
November 15th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Let's sue Al Gore for inventing the internet! Without him there would be no p2p file sharing!

Skripka
November 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
No! Sue Newton! Without him, all the stealers would float off into space without gravity!

Sue Aristotle too, without him we wouldn't have any of this "reasoning".

dmn_clown
November 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM

Ok, I'll bite, where is the video of an explosive device being used to cook a turkey.

Frak
November 15th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Ok, I'll bite, where is the video of an explosive device being used to cook a turkey.
Frying a Turkey is an explosive device.

Not as funny as it was in my mind...

lukjad
November 15th, 2008, 10:34 PM
*Groans.*

SunnyRabbiera
November 15th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Well, here in the USA lawsuits against firearm manufacturers have been allowed.
yeh but even that makes more sense then this BS, sourceforge doesn't even make the bloody software people put on it!
Its more like suing sam's gun shop for selling the gun then suing Smith and Wesson who actually made the rotten thing!

kool_kat_os
November 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM
They might as well try to sue a can of soup for being metal..."hey...our cans our made out of metal also...!"

cardinals_fan
November 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
Ten bucks says that Bill Gates and/or Steve Jobs is funding this ******** case through a dummy corporation.
The chances of that are exceedingly remote. This is the record companies, desperately trying to cling to a sadly out-of-date niche.

Legally speaking, it is rather brilliant.
You probably mean "politically speaking" or something like that. Legally, this is a mess. They essentially have to prove that by hosting software which could be misused to pirate stuff, SourceForge is somehow responsible for the piracy.

They want money.

Dr Evil:"Show me the money". (x3)http://i.fok.nl/s/yes_new.gif
Yes, they want money, but probably not from the suit itself. The goal is to seem big and threatening to any site that might host torrent software.

jomiolto
November 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM
If anything, this only makes me more determined to oppose those greedy record companies in every possible way I can. I've already stopped buying (and downloading) movies and mainstream music ages ago, and I'm avoiding giving one cent of my money to them whenever I can. After all these mindless stunts they've performed during the last years, I'll certainly remember them in the next elections too, and make sure to cast my vote to someone who is for bringing some sense to the situation (perhaps I'll even join the Pirate Party. Yarr! ;) ).

I'm quite sceptical about it making any difference, though, because it seems that no matter how ridiculous it gets, majority of the people simply do not care -- at least not until they're paying thousands of euros in fines for "copyright infringement" they never committed... :(

Skripka
November 15th, 2008, 11:47 PM
You probably mean "politically speaking" or something like that. Legally, this is a mess. They essentially have to prove that by hosting software which could be misused to pirate stuff, SourceForge is somehow responsible for the piracy.

Considering how big corps are able to buy the best lawyers and when dumb cases on really idiotic grounds-I'd be very surpised if they don't get their way. If the record labels can buy federal legislators into forcing educational institutions to be their anti-piracy police (or they risk losing federal funding), this case will be quick-like.

Someone asked earlier about TiVo or DVR....well....

For a LONG time the predecessors to DVR and TiVo type technology were fought tooth and nail on the grounds that it broke copyright law by changing content without owner consent (i.e. removed commercials)--and the cases were nailed and it was only very recently that the technology became legal, as a result of business deals between corporations.

eragon100
November 18th, 2008, 11:48 AM
I have doubts about this whole lawsuit existing.

Why? Because the official SPPF website, http://www.sppf.com/, doesn´t mention it anywhere. Not in French, and not if you set language to English. Sourceforge.net doesn´t mention it in their news section either. I send and email to the SPPF's legal department to ask if this was actually true, and if so, how on earth they think they are going to stop the companies, and sourceforge, outside of France. By starting a war with US perhaps, to enforce French law there??

lukjad
November 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I doesn't have to be realistic, just scary. ;)

Levo75
November 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/crushbaby.jpg

This picture is as much related to sourceforge as piracy is to open source projects.

lukjad
November 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Heh.

mips
November 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM

This picture is as much related to sourceforge as piracy is to open source projects.

You might just end up getting sued for copyright infringement with that post ;)

lukjad
November 18th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Head for the hills! We saw the post! We'll get sued too!

Mr. Picklesworth
November 19th, 2008, 12:50 AM

Well, actually, piracy is one of the biggest opponents free and open source software has to deal with. At least in the superficial definition of it. As a result of piracy, BitTorrent is far less respected a distribution method than it should be. Thanks to piracy, people are not nearly as bothered spending $400+ for an operating system + an office suite as they should be, because so many people just pirate the stuff. Too many people who should know better it's all "free", so free software doesn't get that compelling hook it deserves.

So unless Sourceforge has grown out of mud or something and the, err, bathtub (?!) represents a pirate ship, your analogy is flawed :P