PDA

View Full Version : Am I being unreasonable? NewEgg returns

Greyed
November 14th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Recently I installed and played around with Frets on Fire. I never knew if I would like the rhythm-style games but found FoF a blast to play on my keyboard. I decided I liked it enough to justify purchasing an XBox360 and Rock Band 2 from NewEgg. They arrived within a day.

Playing with a real guitar controller is so much better than faking it with a keyboard. The drums are harder than I remember from high school. All was well until the console complained that the disc was unreadable. I pulled it out and sure enough, a perfect scratch in a circle about 1/4" in from the edge. Clearly a manufacturing defect.

So I go to RMA the game but run into a snag. Obviously as this is my first game of this nature I purchased the bundle. 10lbs of drums, guitar controller, packaging and, oh, about 1/2lb of came disc + package. NewEgg's RMA policy seems to require me to package up the entire bundle and ship it back.

I am finding this unreasonable for three interlocking reasons.

1: The problem is clearly with the disc, not the controllers.
2: The controllers are not covered by the retailer, NewEgg, but by EA. There's a huge honking flyer inside the RB2 box that says all controller returns must be processed by EA.
3: The game can be sold separate of the controllers.

I don't feel that I should have to package up 9.5lbs of stuff that I know works fun, pay shipping on that to RMA it only to replace a DVD-box sized package which can and is sold separately. Heck, the other 9.5lbs of stuff they shouldn't be RMAing in the first place! In fact I could probably find a used copy at the local video game resellers and only spend a dozen or so bucks over what the shipping costs would be. I'd be willing to do that instead of going through the hassle of repackaging everything, paying shipping and then waiting a week or so for a return.

Am I unreasonable in thinking they should replace only the game disc in cases like this?

Skripka
November 14th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Call up NewEgg, and ask--they are VERY reasonable and usually go out of their way to make people happy. There's a reasonable chance they might go along with you. Especially if the defect is clearly the disc.

I purchased a computer case from NewEgg that only had an official return policy of dealing directly with the manufacturer and not NewEgg (accodring to the warranty)..............Said computer case arrived, with the wiring COMPLETELY done wrong for the front panel LEDs/fans (a few LED leads had fan connectors on them, wires were completely colored wrong accoring to the manual, connectors were labeld wrong according to what they actually did and the manual)...I could've taken a pair of wire cutters, and fixed it all-and killed whatever warranty I might've had, and spent an extra hour or so fixing the manufacturers screw-ups...... but I called up NewEgg first, and upon my explaining the blatant manufacturers flaws (that they themselves should have seen) NewEgg took it back and refunded my money-and I got a different case---all of which was not officially allowed on the warranty at sale. Alll shipping covered by NewEgg.

NewEgg rocks. I live next to a BestBuy, and I never go inside.

sloggerkhan
November 14th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Newegg is usually pretty reasonable. I agree with the above poster that you should just call them up. They'll probably let you just send in the game, especially if you want to RMA for a replacement, not a refund.

That said, one time I did have really annoying experience with them when once they had a print head mislabeled as an ink cartridge on their website.

mips
November 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
If all else fails there are torrents. It's not like you are stealing or anything as you have already paid for it.

But first speak to them to try and resolve the issue.

Xzallion
November 14th, 2008, 06:17 PM
mips, torrents won't work on an Xbox 360 console without modding it and risking the ability to use Xbox live.

Greyed, your saying you bought a bundle which included an Xbox 360 and Rock Band 2 correct? As a bundle, since it is all one purchase I would hazard a guess that they sell the set cheaper then the individual components. By returning only the game, newegg loses a lot more money then just shipping an entire replacement unit. So for them this isn't a good situation, but like the above posters have said they are pretty reasonable. Call them up, see if they will replace just the game. If they won't, well this is (unfortunately) standard procedure for bundle packs. Remember this for future purchases.

mips
November 14th, 2008, 06:21 PM
mips, torrents won't work on an Xbox 360 console without modding it and risking the ability to use Xbox live.

Oops, I missed the Xbox 360 part :oops:

Btw. If that is you in your avatar then you have a twin living in SA.

Greyed
November 14th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Greyed, your saying you bought a bundle which included an Xbox 360 and Rock Band 2 correct?

I bought them together, yes, but not as a bundle. The bundle I was referring to was the Rock Band 2 game + the official Rock Band 2 controllers.

oldsoundguy
November 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Not to be critical, but calling the 800 numbers of both New Egg and the place where you are supposed to get the RMA and simply ASKING the question might get you the answer.

I do know that many companies will replace a damaged software disk provided you give them the serial number of the hardware it drives (and don't do it too often). Avery does with their label printers, Sony does with their external computer components, HP does with their printers and monitors and so on. AT NO CHARGE or for a very small charge. (you will have to wait for the "most economical way of shipping" to land.)

First thing upon receipt .. make that all important back up copy.

mips
November 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM

Unfortunately in this case it is irrelevant.

geoken
November 14th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I think your only hope is that new Egg is willing to pull the game out of an exisitng bundle, but your damaged game in that bundle, then return it to the manufacturer.

When new egg receives an RMA, they in turn send an RMA to the supplier/manufacturer. If you send them back part# x, they'll take part# x and send it to the manufacturer. If you send them back one piece of part# x, they are unable to send that back to the manufacturer.

I think new egg gets put on the spot in these situations because they're simplifying the RMA process by serving as the middle man but, as the middle man, are unable to control the policies of the supplier. Unfortunately, since they put themselves between you and the supplier, complaints get directed at them even though they're only shadowing the policies of the supplier.

Greyed
November 14th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Not to be critical, but calling the 800 numbers of both New Egg and the place where you are supposed to get the RMA and simply ASKING the question might get you the answer.

3 emails to their support group and counting. I never said I didn't contact them but I did neglect to mention I have.

Well, in this case how would that have helped? XBox360 doesn't play well with burned DVDs and the original media was damaged upon receipt. ;)

oldsoundguy
November 14th, 2008, 07:09 PM
3 emails to their support group and counting. I never said I didn't contact them but I did neglect to mention I have.

Well, in this case how would that have helped? XBox360 doesn't play well with burned DVDs and the original media was damaged upon receipt. ;)

PHONE calls, not eMail. They will reply to eMail when they "get around to it". Kind of hard for someone that answers a phone to ignore you!

And sorry, forgot that x-box is Microsoft.

Greyed
November 14th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Well, I called and they are requiring the entire item to be shipped back. Bleh.