PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] selective apt-get upgrade package

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 04:18 PM
i want to upgrade a package (backuppc). but it tells me its also going to upgrade the samba packages. its ok if it upgrades everything else just not the samba packages...

how do i prevent apt-get from doing this???

igknighted
November 14th, 2008, 04:33 PM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/utils/backuppc

Backuppc depends on samba, so I doubt you can update without the samba packages as well.

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 04:51 PM
i should clarify, i already have samba 3.0.28a installed. this is what i don't want upgraded

igknighted
November 14th, 2008, 04:53 PM
i should clarify, i already have samba 3.0.28a installed. this is what i don't want upgraded

How did you install samba? And backuppc?

EDIT: Why do you not want to update samba?

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 05:03 PM
i'm running into weird errors with samba 3.2.3 and backuppc 3.1. i know that samba 3.0.28a and backuppc 3.1 work good together because this is what i'm currently running.

i currently have samba 3.0.28a and backuppc 3.0 on another machine. this is where i want to upgrade backuppc to 3.1 without upgrading samba.

so i would like to know how i can use apt-get to upgrade backuppc 3.0 to 3.1 and not upgrade samba.

jamesrl
November 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
Try using synaptic, instead of apt-get. You can select which packages to upgrade and also force versions (Ctrl-E)

igknighted
November 14th, 2008, 05:06 PM
i'm running into weird errors with samba 3.2.3 and backuppc 3.1. i know that samba 3.0.28a and backuppc 3.1 work good together because this is what i'm currently running.

i currently have samba 3.0.28a and backuppc 3.0 on another machine. this is where i want to upgrade backuppc to 3.1 without upgrading samba.

so i would like to know how i can use apt-get to upgrade backuppc 3.0 to 3.1 and not upgrade samba.

Ok... download the .deb of 3.1. Install all the dependencies of backuppc. Then use dpkg to install the .deb with this command:
sudo dpkg --install --force-all <packagename>

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Try using synaptic, instead of apt-get. You can select which packages to upgrade and also force versions (Ctrl-E)

unfortunately, i'm not running a gui. so i can't use synaptic. i wonder if there is a command-line version of synaptic??? that would be nice.

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Ok... download the .deb of 3.1. Install all the dependencies of backuppc. Then use dpkg to install the .deb with this command:
sudo dpkg --install --force-all <packagename>

that makes sense, i'll try this, thanks!

LRT
November 14th, 2008, 06:36 PM
i can't imagine there isn't a better way of doing this...

brycenesbitt
February 4th, 2010, 07:15 AM
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -u upgrade
(get list of packages then hit 'no')
sudo apt-get install xxxx yyyy zzzz

leorolla
May 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
I was looking for the same thing, an apt-get option to upgrade just one package.

There is a workaround though: sudo aptitude gives a terminal GUI.

Paqman
May 20th, 2010, 09:42 AM
i can't imagine there isn't a better way of doing this...

You can set a hold on a package in APT, so that it won't be upgraded.

sudo echo packagename hold | dpkg --set-selections

leorolla
May 20th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Setting holds is not really robust because different APT frontends may or may not respect it. If there are a few packages you don't want upgraded, the safest way is to set a pinning. ;)

But there may be another situation: you want to upgrade only a few packages from the -proposed or -backports repository and ignore all the others. For this situation I haven't found a command-line solution yet. :(

Nap_BlownApart
August 3rd, 2012, 11:00 AM
But there may be another situation: you want to upgrade only a few packages from the -proposed or -backports repository and ignore all the others. For this situation I haven't found a command-line solution yet. :(

This is exactly what I want to do to update my ClamAV anti-virus database and engine

Elfy
August 3rd, 2012, 11:02 AM
Please start your own thread.

Closed