PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cant boot 8.10 CDs

harvester
November 14th, 2008, 03:31 PM
I cant get kubuntu or ubuntu desktop to boot. When I select Install Ubuntu, it freezes, you see the harddrive light flickers a few times, but I still see the same boot option menu.

I tried with different boot options to disable apic and acpi and stuff, didnt help.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu 8.10 RC cds work fine.

Please help.

Note : tested on old IBM T40, a new emachines laptop, a new acer desktop. After waiting for a LONG LONG time i finally ended up with a kernel panic message, compressed image found at block 0, and after that it says CRC Error. The CD is not defective as far as I can tell. The test media option freezes as well.

taurus
November 14th, 2008, 03:53 PM
How fast did you burn the image to a CD? How would you know the CD is not defective when you couldn't even run the test cd for defects option?

harvester
November 14th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Well, I have burnt both RC cds with no problem on the same media and I have burnt 4 cds ( 2x ubuntu and 2xkubuntu ) with the same exact issues with them all...

All was burnt at 48X, on the same computer, from the same drive, and the same package of media... so altho I have not been able to test it, I am quite sure they are good.

I will tho try burning them from a brand new acer we have here.. just incase.

0004tom
November 14th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Also trying burning at a lower speed

harvester
November 14th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Ok guys, I redownloaded the torrent onto a new machine, burnt from it, at 8x, told it to verify after its done, and you know what ?

It did work. It was a bad CD. My bad, and thanks for your help!