PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] xserver e nvidia

gustavolinux
November 14th, 2008, 12:04 PM
People, I have to install a nvidia driver, and it tells to exit the X server before I start the installation... How do i do it? "init 1" does not work, because the driver doesn't allow also... How can I tell my system to not start X at runlevel 3?

Below, there is the message of the NVIDIA driver..

NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (96.43.07)

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING

THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Thanx dudes

overdrank
November 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
People, I have to install a nvidia driver, and it tells to exit the X server before I start the installation... How do i do it? "init 1" does not work, because the driver doesn't allow also... How can I tell my system to not start X at runlevel 3?

Below, there is the message of the NVIDIA driver..

NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 (96.43.07)

ERROR: You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing. For further details, please see the section INSTALLING

THE NVIDIA DRIVER in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.

Thanx dudes

Hi and you can use the alt, ctrl, F1 keys to reach the virtual terminal and enter the command
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop