PDA

View Full Version : Henry's Ubuntu Review - part 2

nebyah
December 2nd, 2005, 10:55 PM
http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/12/henrys-damn-ubuntu-review-part-2.html

majikstreet
December 3rd, 2005, 02:07 AM
are you Henry the Aqedate? or however you spell it? I forgot to take my spelling pills today, sorry..

nebyah
December 3rd, 2005, 04:05 AM
Henry is a fictional character.
Having said that I must plead guilty to being the author.

Iandefor
January 2nd, 2006, 07:02 AM
Damn! I completely missed this up until now. Thanks again for more of Henry's stupidity, Nebyah! Oh, and *Bump*!

anil_robo
January 2nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
Damn! I completely missed this up until now. Thanks again for more of Henry's stupidity, Nebyah! Oh, and *Bump*!
What is *bump*? I've seen many people using this in forums, but I'm not sure of its usage. Can someone explain it for me please? :D Thanks! :D

Iandefor
January 2nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
It means we're deliberately posting to move it up on the forums; if somone hasn't posted to a thread in a week, it's unlikely that anyone will see it, because all the threads that people have posted to in the last week will be displayed before it. However, someone who wants to revive it may bump it up so that more people will see it and post on it. That's what I did. I added a post to express my appreciation for Neyah's work, and also to "bump" it up out of the dead zone.

anil_robo
January 2nd, 2006, 07:31 PM
It means we're deliberately posting to move it up on the forums; if somone hasn't posted to a thread in a week, it's unlikely that anyone will see it. However, someone who wants to revive it may bump it up so that more people will see it and post on it.

Thanks Ian. I just remembered I have some threads to *bump* because no one cared to reply to them! Thanks a zillions! :)

Iandefor
January 2nd, 2006, 07:47 PM
no problem... just remember, use bumps with care.

nebyah
January 10th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Thanks Iandefor. I've been away so didn't see your comment until now.

There've been some additional Henry reviews and Linux articles, but I didn't post them here on account of they had nothing to do with Ubuntu. (Well ok Ubuntu is mentioned here (http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/12/henrys-computer-toolkit.html), but that hardly counts)

Dr. Nick
January 10th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I forgot about these reviews lol, I got a kick out of the first one and then almost missed this one. Glad it got pushed back up to the top :)

Lord Illidan
January 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Very funny. I like these!!

Iandefor
January 11th, 2006, 12:50 AM
Yup, they're good, all right. Thanks again, Nebyah!

nebyah
January 19th, 2006, 04:43 AM
You're welcome. Check out the Windows XP review here (http://henrytheadequate.blogspot.com/2005/12/henrys-windows-xp-linux-review.html), which is much more accurate and realistic than most.

I'm open to suggestions for my next review. Here are some I've been considering:

Red Hat:
"So, it's Free Software, and I have the right to modify, the right to make copies, the right to distribute and all that, but I'm only allowed to install it on one computer and you'll sue if I share it with my friends?"

"Yes, that's right." The suit smiles and nods happily.

Slackware:
So, apparently this program thing I've just installed doesn't work unless I already have some file thing called "openssl", whatever that is. Strange. But I can fix that. Using my superpowered command-line skills I type "touch /usr/bin/openssl". There. That should do it.

LFS:
Apparently in order to install Linux I must have Linux installed. (Ok, so I could install using something called a "Live CD", but there is no way I am messing with some kind of organic living breathing, possibly sentient, computer disk) Perhaps if I smash my head against the wall a few more times this strange concept might become clearer.

Iandefor
January 19th, 2006, 06:56 AM
LFS:
Apparently in order to install Linux I must have Linux installed. (Ok, so I could install using something called a "Live CD", but there is no way I am messing with some kind of organic living breathing, possibly sentient, computer disk) Perhaps if I smash my head against the wall a few more times this strange concept might become clearer. I like the LFS idea. You should do that.

nebyah
January 20th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Yes LFS/BLFS would be good. I installed version 5 in a VM once, to see what it was like. The only problem with LFS for a Henry review is it takes so damn long, and I am lazy.