PDA

View Full Version : Where can I upload my files?

Zdravko
November 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Hi!
I am currently searching for a web space where I can upload my source code files. Since I am inspired by FOSS, I believe everyone should be able to see my work and possibly benefit from it. Below are my reasons for a web space:
I am working in the field of C and C++ programming and making a blog, where I share my latest libraries.
But the blog page has the nasty bug that renders the '>' and '<' characters in the wrong way!
The width of the page is also too small for a code with say 70 characters per line. This invokes a vertical scroll bar :(
The blog doesn't allow me to upload source code. Only pictures and pdf's are allowed. I was willing to upload the source code, because it is quite large and it doesn't make any sense to paste such an awful amount of text in the blog.
Any web space with about 2-3 MB storage will suit me quite ok. It is important that it is reliable!
Thanks in advance!

steeleyuk
November 14th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Google Code is a good place to upload and manage your project.

Zdravko
November 14th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I use gmail and I think that it is too much. I am afraid to use yet another google service. I will think it over, ok.
Any other suggestions?

Jay_Bee
November 14th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Try Launchpad or Sourceforge.

billgoldberg
November 14th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Sourceforge!

Northsider
November 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Sourceforge, Google, your own webhost, mediafire...

fatality_uk
November 14th, 2008, 07:11 PM
If you want to reach millions of potential users, SourceForge & Google it.

hessiess
November 14th, 2008, 07:49 PM
sudo apt-get install apache2

mehaga
November 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
http://www.assembla.com/

days_of_ruin
November 14th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Launchpad

mehaga
November 14th, 2008, 09:28 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_software_hosting_facilities

Zdravko
November 15th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, but you seem to get me somewhat wrong. I need a place to store the source files. I don't need to create new accounts in these websites just to upload the code of another application of mine?

p_quarles
November 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks to everyone for the recommendations, but you seem to get me somewhat wrong. I need a place to store the source files. I don't need to create new accounts in these websites just to upload the code of another application of mine?
If you want to host something publicly, you'll need an account. Otherwise, anyone else would be able to erase or modify whatever you have stored.

Zdravko
November 15th, 2008, 08:25 AM
Yes, but isn't it overkill to register in these sites just to upload source code for several applications?

p_quarles
November 15th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Yes, but isn't it overkill to register in these sites just to upload source code for several applications?
Well, what kind of site do you want to upload them to? I mean, I suppose you could just get a freehostia site (or similar) and host the files there, but it would still require an account.

Zdravko
November 15th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Yes, I thought there is a site where I can register and then upload my files.

mehaga
November 15th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Zdravo, Zdravko, Zdravko... sta da radim s tobom? :p

Links we gave you will allow you to use source control stuff like CVS, SVN, Mercurial... and I recommend using those instead of simple upload.

If you insist on just upload, rapidshare might be good choice. Or you can use storage provided with your google, yahoo... mail account, I guess.

Zdravko
November 16th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Haha, okay thanks one more time. I will see what will suit me best!