PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Inside Windows didnt work!

Ruge1X
November 14th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hey all,

Ive got some DVD issues so I decided to mount my ISO image on a virtual CD drive (using an XP tool from the microsoft site). Ive performed this and run the disc, where I click on "Install Inside Windows".

I got a few windows popup with extracting, but after that, the install quits back to windows!

Any hints?

mattthemuppet
November 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
burn a billion and 1 CDs, try burning them on different PCs and different speeds using different CDs and then out of frustration order a CD from Ubuntu.

Then, when you get it working, finally, there's a big chance your network won't work.

So, good luck! (sorry for the bitter rant, just wasted 2 weeks of evenings on Ubuntu with no success, so I'm not a happy bunny. Kudos to you if you get it working though)

markg48
November 14th, 2008, 11:10 AM
if your having burning issues just get winrar or somthing extract the iso to any location and click the wubi exe file and it should install fine dont virtual mount <.<

if you dont get what i mean u can unzip iso like zips files with winrar

also if it doesnt work let me know and ill tell you a different way

markg48
November 14th, 2008, 01:26 PM
<.< dont listen to him lol u can get drivers if your hardware doesnt work (most of the time)

steveneddy
November 14th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I would suggest partitioning your hard drive and installing Ubuntu there.

This is the preferred way and you will probably have better luck.

WUBI just gives problems. More than an actual install.

Besides, it's what all the cool kids are doing.

Ruge1X
November 14th, 2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for your replies all. I basically have a partition free, ready for an Ubuntu install, but I keep hearing I have to boot from the disc to get it to work! So I might try just unzipping the disc on my C: and running wubi and getting that to install on my free drive.

markg48
November 15th, 2008, 02:06 PM
unzip and installing should work if it doesnt get the latest wubi install from http://wubi-installer.org/ and put it in the same directry as the iso

i also found this a usb stick install if your computer can boot from usb sticks https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick#Install%20Ubuntu%20from%20a%20USB%20s tick

if you cant use usb i think there even a floppy install on that page

or theres unetbootin on the same page as that usb guide http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

UNetbootin allows for the installation of various Linux/BSD distributions to a partition or USB drive, so it's no different from a standard install, only it doesn't need a CD. It can create a dual-boot install, or replace the existing OS entirely.

markg48
November 15th, 2008, 02:26 PM
if u cant get wubi to work i would try unetbootin it can isntall ubuntu within windows and it can install lots of other distros

this tool is good to if u want to try other distros and dont have a cd burner

remmber to thank me if it works

:)

steveneddy
November 15th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Have you tried putting the CD in the drive and booting off of the CD to make sure that your hardware works properly?

This step may save some headaches.

If you have a hard time booting from the CD, try another distro like PC Linux OS or Linux Mint.

Good Luck.

markg48
November 17th, 2008, 03:01 AM
have you installed ubuntu yet?