PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] automate install of mysql-server

shl0m0
November 14th, 2008, 09:46 AM
In order to install mysql-server I do this:

sudo apt-get install -y mysql-server
But, the installation process pops up a blue dialog asking for a root password.

I need to completely automate the installation of mysql-server.

This post on the Forum Archives has a solution, but it didn't work:

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-677482.html

It was a good start, though. Here is what I needed to do in order to prevent the prompt from happening:

echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections
echo "mysql-server mysql-server/root_password_again select (password omitted)" | debconf-set-selections

I put those lines in my setup script and then the mysql-server installation doesn't prompt for a root password.

webmasteroy
December 26th, 2009, 04:37 AM
That worked perfectly, to clear up any confusion others may have... The lines he provided should be placed right above your apt-get install command for MySQL, within the bash script you are using to automate the process.

shadowlemon
December 4th, 2010, 04:27 PM
it does work indeed like expected; however what is the password when this is installed? it's not blank, and neither is it one of the default passwords one might expect.

arunncce2089
December 2nd, 2011, 07:24 PM
The correct commands are

echo "mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server/root_password password your_mysql_root_password" | debconf-set-selections
echo "mysql-server-5.1 mysql-server/root_password_again password your_mysql_root_password" | debconf-set-selections
sudo apt-get -y install mysql-server-5.1