PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File access

spike240
November 14th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Hi there - After many years of reliable use I tried mucking about with a system file (long story). Now when booting, after the username password have been given Ubuntu stays blank (crimson screen). Any of you guys know how I can gain access to my files?
TIA
regards
Brian

Crafty Kisses
November 14th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Boot into recovery mode from GRUB menu and at the prompt, reconfigure your X server:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo shutdown -r now
Once it's rebooted and you are able to log in again, make sure your video card drivers are installed, and if this doesn't work please let me know and I or someone else can help you with your current issue.

spike240
November 14th, 2008, 10:05 AM
OK thanks for that. Got to go to work now - will try later. Will let you know.
Regards
Brian

Crafty Kisses
November 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Alright, thanks for letting me know.

spike240
November 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
Hi thanks for your input. I tried entering the code, but alas same outcome. Maybe if I tell you what i did while Ubuntu was running to get me in this situation.
I tried installing a wireless adapter, which involved installing er is it nidiswrapper - which allows the installation of the Windows driver. This resulted in the wireless adapter not working, on top of that my ethernet connection would no longer work. I researched on internet and ended up editing the interfaces file. i deleted the first couple of lines from etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

PS please bear in mind all the years I have used Ubuntu I have only used GUI and not ventured into the terminal much, so plainspeak please.
Thanks to everyone.

Regards
Brian

spike240
November 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
A quick bump. Can anyone help please?
Many thanks
Brian

cariboo
November 15th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Create a new user. Start in recovery mode and at the menu drop to root prompt. At the prompt type:

useradd -m <newuser>

then

passwd <newuser>

The useradd -m adds a new user and create his how directory. Passwd is self explanitory. Next reboot:

reboot

You should now be able to login is as the user you just created.

Once you are logged in as your new user, you can transfer your files from the old user to the new user.

This won't fix your network device problems, but we can work on that after you're up and running.

Jim

spike240
November 15th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks for input. Tried it but same result. When I boot ubuntu I do reach the username & password screen. I can therefore access the terminal. Is there any way of editing system files from there.
Also when booting in recovery mode I am informed that there was a fatal error with ndiswrapper - maybe this is a clue?
Thanks again for responding.

regards
Brian