PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot help

sevic33
November 14th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I just download Ubuntu 8.10 and im going to install it for first time,but first i need some litle help.
I have instaled Win XP,so im going to make another particion in windows with size of 20 GB and gona install Ubuntu on that particion.That would be 5 particion on my HD.I dont wona affect XP or lose some data.
So is there any tutorial about first time boot to do it right,or you guys can give me some tips?

inobe
November 14th, 2008, 08:37 AM
when you install ubuntu be sure you point the installation to the correct partition.

ubuntu will then automatically setup its own partitions and install.

"backup important data"

sevic33
November 14th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I need to backup 200 GB.****,so there is a chanse to lose my data?

alwez_loner
November 14th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Welcome to Ubuntu,

If you already have made a partition the all you have to do is direct your ubuntu Install to the partition.

Just make sure that you make the swap partition and \ these are very important. Try this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=56723) and see this thread it might help.

inobe
November 14th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I need to backup 200 GB.****,so there is a chanse to lose my data?

do you have 200 gigs of music/ pics/ docs/ vids/ mail etc... ?

if yes' back it up :)

prshah
November 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I just download Ubuntu 8.10 and im going to install it for first time,but first i need some litle help.
im going to make another particion in windows with size of 20 GB and gona install Ubuntu on that particion.

Are you going to do a "wubi" (within windows) install? Before you do that, I'd suggest booting off the downloaded CD and checking if all your stuff (sound, network, wireless, display) works.

sevic33
November 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Are you going to do a "wubi" (within windows) install? Before you do that, I'd suggest booting off the downloaded CD and checking if all your stuff (sound, network, wireless, display) works.

If im figure it right,you say i need burn Ubuntu on cd and install it like i install XP from boot screen,not in windows(wubi)?:-k

sevic33
November 14th, 2008, 10:14 AM
do you have 200 gigs of music/ pics/ docs/ vids/ mail etc... ?

if yes' back it up :)

I format HD couple days ago,and copy all stuff from old HD.Yes it mostly music,movies and stuff
And now need to backup 200 GB...](*,)