PDA

View Full Version : does anyone else here like the old horror movies

EnGorDiaz
November 14th, 2008, 07:25 AM
im talking about poltergeist, halloween 1-3, the thing, psycho all of them i love them:D

kostkon
November 14th, 2008, 08:10 AM
im talking about poltergeist, halloween 1-3, the thing, psycho all of them i love them:D
Me, me!

These are not old. The really old are the ones from the 30's - 50's; classics like Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy and many many others...

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2008, 08:15 AM
"it's alive, fritz! it's alive!"

Denestria
November 14th, 2008, 09:49 AM
classics like Frankenstein, Dracula, The Mummy and many many others...
What he said.
Old monster/zombie/vampire/werewolf stuff yes, scare movies no.

sujoy
November 14th, 2008, 10:15 AM
add dawn of the dead (1978 ) to that list too :)

s.fox
November 14th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I love black and white horror movies. :)

Anyone here remember The Curious Dr. Humpp (1971) ?

Classic!

Sealbhach
November 14th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Nosferatu.

gn2
November 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Horror movies?

They're bad taste (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092610/).

cloudybutnice
November 14th, 2008, 11:05 AM
I just love old black and white movies of any kind. The African Queen, Cassablanca, Brief Encounter, that kind of thing. They're excellent.

billgoldberg
November 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM

I only like old horror movies.

I dislike the current breed of horror movies.

They are either gore movies (saw, ...), who aren't scary or those Japanese style movies where a little girl stands in the corner and we are supposed to be scared (yeah right).

Not that I find the old horror movies that scary, but I like the vibe they sent.

I have all the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm street, Friday the 13th movies.

Also Fright Night, Pet Sementary, IT, the Frighteners, The Shining, the Thing, Rosemaries Baby, the old Night of the Living Dead movie, the Fly, Video Drome, An American Werewolf in London, is the Blair Witch Movie already considered old, ...

Yeah, I'm a movie buff.

--

Also, I have all the old black and white Twilight Zone and The Outer Limits episodes.

I guess some would find them scary.

I just love those shows.

bigbrovar
November 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
came out in the early 80s so not that old* but still Evil Dead is my favorite horror movie

chucky chuckaluck
November 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
i like them, even though i hate being startled. while watching 'susperia' in a theater, i got so startled, i threw popcorn all over the people in front of me.

xpod
November 14th, 2008, 12:21 PM
You just cant beat the old ones.Those were the proper scary ones.
People are generally immune to most of the violence & gore they see in the movies now-a-days,especially the younger ones.The certainly dont hide behind the sofa when Doctor Who comes on like they did back in the day.

Apart from the old Christopher Lee,Peter Cushing type stuff the first horror movie with actual gore i remember watching was The Burning back in the early 80`s.An uncle had rented it for a family gathering to watch,not quite realising what it was.
I still remember my younger brother puking all over his dinner plate as ole Cropsy jumped out the boat and cut the lads fingers off with those garden shears.
Poor Uncle Donald was never allowed to rent the Video`s after that.

nothingspecial
November 14th, 2008, 12:53 PM
came out in the early 80s so not that old* but still Evil Dead is my favorite horror movie

Evil Dead 2 is better.

Top 10:-

Evil Dead 2
Night Of The Living Dead
The Curse of Frankenstien
Dawn of The Dead
Halloween
The Burning
Night Of The Demon
Suspiria
Dracula
Bad Taste

Nano Geek
November 14th, 2008, 03:12 PM
i like them, even though i hate being startled. while watching 'susperia' in a theater, i got so startled, i threw popcorn all over the people in front of me.Remind me never to go to the movies with you. :)

bigbrovar
November 14th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evil Dead 2 is better.

yeah its my favorite too .. but its no where as scary and evil dead

oldos2er
November 14th, 2008, 07:19 PM

Uh, I thought you said OLD movies.

Psycho is great, of course. Karloff, Lugosi, etc., are some of my favorites though--Bride of Frankenstein is wonderful. Another good Hitchcock film is The Lodger.

There are several worthy French and Italian films from the 60s too. Among many others.

oldos2er
November 14th, 2008, 07:20 PM
i like them, even though i hate being startled. while watching 'susperia' in a theater, i got so startled, i threw popcorn all over the people in front of me.

Suspiria is on TCM tonight!

plb
November 14th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I watch older horror films also. Well from the 70s and 80s mostly. I agree with a previous poster that said current horror films are horrible, nothing more than just gore really though some are good. I thought 28 days later and 28 weeks later were good. Rec was also a good movie. There are others too but most of the crap that comes from Hollywood these days is just that...crap.

Idaho Dan
November 14th, 2008, 08:13 PM
I liked Phantasm and Friday the 13th.

toupeiro
November 14th, 2008, 08:33 PM
I love horror movies.

The Poltergeist series!!! absolutely love it.

White Zombie with Bela Lugosi, Madge Bellamy, Joseph Cawthorn, and Robert Frazer is an all time classic!

Eisenwinter
November 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Village of The Damned, Friday The 13th.

The Horror.

etc.

yavez
November 14th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Love the old movies from the 30's-40's. They're not scary but they're packed with atmosphere.

I recommend to those who might not have seen them, the movies of producer Val Lewton:

Cat People
Curse of the Cat People
I Walked with a Zombie
Ghost Ship
Bedlam
The Leopard Man
The Seventh Victim

Also anything by John Carpenter makes my favourite list - The Fog, The Thing, In the Mouth of Madness, Halloween, Prince of Darkness

malleus74
November 14th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I have all the Halloween, Nightmare on Elm street, Friday the 13th movies.

Also Fright Night, Pet Sementary, IT, the Frighteners, The Shining, the Thing, Rosemaries Baby, the old Night of the Living Dead movie, the Fly, Video Drome, An American Werewolf in London, is the Blair Witch Movie already considered old, ...

Yeah, I'm a movie buff.

I agree with everything besides the Blair Witch... and I'd add the Exorcist and the Omen series (original).