PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] my monitor

georgegerm
November 14th, 2008, 04:45 AM
is it possible for the digital connection to go bad and not the analog one
i have a tft 22in from samsung ...
i cannot now here remmember the exact number
in any event i can get it to work connecting to work analog but when i try the digital side (it has 1 analog and 1 digital ports) nothing i tried it with 2 pcs that have digital cards and no chance..
what could ahve caused this it is not old maybe 7 months, and it used to work just fine with both..
i cannot explain why or if it is for sure the monitor, samsungs in this tft class are pretty good
any thoughts out there???
i was using xp and ubuntu hardy on it on 1 pc (digital) and on the other port was my linux mint oldie but goodie linux mint.
also connected was a switch to share mouse and keyboard, but not the monitor i had to change it with one of it knobs....
thank you:guitar:

CatKiller
November 14th, 2008, 06:38 AM
is it possible for the digital connection to go bad and not the analog one

Yes. All hardware components can fail.

Whether that has happened in your case is a different question. My monitor has a setting in its configuration menu for which connection gets used. Perhaps yours has something similar?

georgegerm
November 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Yes. All hardware components can fail.

Whether that has happened in your case is a different question. My monitor has a setting in its configuration menu for which connection gets used. Perhaps yours has something similar?

yes i agree once in the old big fat monitors days i had one that the cable went bad ...
boy that took long to find out for me..
i thought of everything but the cable (in this case i have 2 and one is brand new so nope thats not it)
yet i find it very unusual that so to speak just one side went bad,, i wish i knew the reason:guitar: