PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu dual-boot broke Windows XP?

seanbow
November 14th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 in a dual-boot setup with Windows XP. The installation went great and Ubuntu is working very well, but when I tried to go back to XP, about 5 seconds after the splash screen with loading bar comes up, I get a "halt" BSOD.

My hard drive was originally in 3 partitions: a ~100 MB recovery partition, a ~150GB Windows partition, and a ~150GB partition for random crap. I chose to reduce the Windows partition by 35 GB or so in the Ubuntu installation, leading to the current setup of 100MB recovery, ~115GB Windows, ~35GB Ubuntu, and ~150gb whatever. When I try to access the other partitions through Ubuntu, I can access the 150gb one fine, but the windows partition fails to mount.

kansasnoob
November 14th, 2008, 04:21 AM
So, you do get the Grub screen on reboot where you can choose which system to boot?

It might help to see the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

That's a lower case L.

bumanie
November 14th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Go into console mode on windows (via install cd) and do a fsck to check the filsystem. Did you defrag before shrinking?

Hospadar
November 14th, 2008, 04:38 AM
I think most likely something got messed up when you resized the windows partition. Maybe try repairing with a windows install cd. If that doesn't work, maybe you can use chkdisk (or whatever the windows partition repair tool is called) to try and fix your windows partition.

It's also possible that when ubuntu installed grub it didn't properly relocate your windows bootloader (that's just a guess), so maybe re-installing your windows boot loader will fix the problem.

You'll need to:
Copy over the windows boot loader from the windows installation cd (google how to do it)
Then re-install grub, there are guides on how to do this in the community docs link in my sig

seanbow
November 14th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Windows does show up in the boot loader, yes.
Sudo fdisk -l outputs:

Disk /dev/sda: 320.0 GB, 320072933376 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 38913 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x95f22c37

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 13 104391 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 14 12046 96655072+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda3 16621 34249 141604942+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda4 34250 38913 37463580 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 34250 38716 35881146 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 38717 38913 1582371 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I messed around with partitions before installing Ubuntu; my goal was to get it to install in the now empty 37gb "Extended" section, but I couldn't really figure out how to do it so I just had it shrink the windows partition.

No, I didn't defragment before it. Was I supposed to? Argh.

I actually don't have a Windows CD with me, it's at home (I live in a dorm). I'll run home and pick it up soon, maybe tomorrow, so I can try the other options.

Thanks for the help.

R.Bucky
November 14th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Uhhh. Yup. You were supposed to defrag the Windoz partition at least once before you install the dual boot. NTFS partitions write data all over the hard-disks. Defragging consolidates most or all of the data into sections. Sounds like you overwrote some core data bits. If you have the XP disk, you might want to think about a fresh install.

I am sure that others might have recovery suggestions... anyone?

bumanie
November 14th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I'd try the filesystem check first and if that doesn't work, other options can be looked at. You could even run xfix from within ubuntu - but we'll get to that later if necessary.

ugm6hr
November 14th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I messed around with partitions before installing Ubuntu; my goal was to get it to install in the now empty 37gb "Extended" section, but I couldn't really figure out how to do it so I just had it shrink the windows partition.

For your info, it looks like Ubuntu [B]is[B] in the Extended (sda4) partition - with sda5 & 6 being within sda4.

And for future reference - if you intend to mess around with partitions, make sure you have decent backups first. Re-partitioning puts all your data at risk.

Sorry, I can't add anything to your current issue.

underground
November 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Please post the output of /boot/grub/menu.lst file

caljohnsmith
November 14th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Seanbow, do you have your Windows Install CD? I would begin by booting that, go to the "recovery console", and doing:

chkdsk /r
And run that as many times as it takes until it reports no errors. If you don't have a Windows Install CD, you can download a Windows XP Repair CD from here (http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/bootdiscs/xp_rec_con.zip). How about giving that a shot first, reboot XP, and let us know how far you get. Also, please post your /boot/grub/menu.lst like Underground asked for so we can make sure Grub is booting XP correctly.

seanbow
November 19th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Awesome. I got my Windows CD today and ran chkdsk /r a couple times, and I'm now posting this from within Windows XP. Everything seems to be running well. Thanks for the help everyone!

I would love to be able to back up my data before I resize partitions and such, but I really have no way to back up ~100gb of stuff. I should invest in an external hard drive...