PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Orange screen after install

gquiring
November 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
I loaded 8.10 on an old Dell X200 laptop. The install went clean no errors. When it boots to the GUI all I get is an orange screen with no icons or controls. I see the mouse cursor which moves.

I get to the login via ctrl-alt-F1.

I tried changing the X11 driver to vesa and that made things much worse.

oilchangeguy
November 14th, 2008, 03:31 AM
I loaded 8.10 on an old Dell X200 laptop. The install went clean no errors. When it boots to the GUI all I get is an orange screen with no icons or controls. I see the mouse cursor which moves.

I get to the login via ctrl-alt-F1.

I tried changing the X11 driver to vesa and that made things much worse.

what are your computers specs? a quick google search shows it probably does not have the power to run ubuntu 8.10.

Rashinali
March 4th, 2013, 03:01 AM
I have the same problem: an orange screen with absolutely no buttons or menus in the screen. I have attached a picture.

It told me the Ubuntu installation was completed successfully. It even gives me the log in screen and let's me log in with my password.
I have a gateway laptop. I had windows xp installed on it before so it is definitely able to handle an operating system as large as windows.

Rashinali
March 4th, 2013, 03:21 AM
Ok so I restarted the computer. I'm not sure why it got fixed, but I pressed esc and shift (not silmoltaneousky). While it was rebooting.
It works now!!

overdrank
March 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct (http://ubuntuforums.org/misc.php?do=showrules).

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
Thread closed.