PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Graphics Error on Installation

Ruge1X
November 14th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hey guys,

First post here. I decided to try and install Ubuntu on my old laptop last night. I selected the "Start or Install Ubuntu" option and once I got to the desktop, my screen was all garbled and i saw 1 1/2 screens worth of desktop of my monitor. I also got an error that I could vague see as something like GNOME could not access Daemon or something.

So I decided to Start Ubuntu (off the CD) in Safe Graphics mode, and it looked perfect!

I spoke to someone on #Ubuntu who told me a code to type on the terminal and it detected my GFX card and the set up of my machine. However it gave me this error

Starting GNOME Graphics Driver (or something) ........ [FAIL]

Any hints?

Cheers!

taurus
November 14th, 2008, 01:19 AM
What is the spec of your old laptop? Another option to install Ubuntu on your laptop is with the alternate CD. It's a text based but should be real easy to follow.

Ruge1X
November 14th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Sorry, should have mentioned that earlier.

PIII 1GHz Processor
256MB SD-RAM
32MB ATi Rage Mobility GFX
20GB HDD

Its just weird that everything looks right except the desktop itself (i havent installed yet, just running of the disc) but the safe-mode gfx looks perfect, and that also it has detected my gfx correctly (when I did that other setup using the terminal).

taurus
November 14th, 2008, 01:53 AM
I believe that if you want to run the LiveCD, you need something like 350MB of RAM. So, 256MB is really pushing it. Therefore, use alternate CD to install it on your machine but since you have only 256MB, I would recommend you install the Xubuntu, XFce4 window manager, instead of Ubuntu, Gnome. Gnome will be dog slow on your machine then.