PDA

View Full Version : Linux boots in 2.97 seconds

I-75
November 14th, 2008, 12:24 AM
Linux boots in 2.97 seconds
by Egan Orion
Nov 12, 2008

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/128117,linux-boots-in-297-seconds.aspx

Software engineers at Japan's embedded Linux software vendor Lineo announced technology last week that can boot a low-power computer system within 2.97 seconds, the company claims.
Lineo calls its quick-start software system Warp 2, apparently either never having heard of IBM's ill-fated and abandoned OS/2 Warp operating system or not being particularly superstitious.

The company says Warp 2 consists of a bootloader, a customised Linux software stack, and a 'hibernation driver' similar to familiar suspend-to-disk software. Lineo's innovation is that its hibernation driver writes a snapshot of RAM into flash memory instead of to a hard disk.

billgoldberg
November 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
That might be fun for notebooks.

But does it really matter if it's 3 seconds or 50?

Not for me.

zmjjmz
November 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM
The only time I ever reboot is when there's a crash or a kernel update.
So this doesn't make a difference to me.

Half-Left
November 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
If your swaping OS's it makes a big difference, you'd be lying if you said it doesn't make any difference to you.

smoker
November 14th, 2008, 02:00 AM
why aren't coffee machine manufacturers in the loop here - looks like the computer will be waiting for me while i make a cup, rather than me making the coffee waiting for the computer!
:-)

mssever
November 14th, 2008, 02:44 AM
Notice that this is resuming from hibernation in 2.97, not a cold boot. So it's a bit misleading.

handy
November 14th, 2008, 03:13 AM
The following thread is related somewhat:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=980465

mehaga
November 14th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I love fast boots, they're important to me. Still, I think this is going too far. I'd much rather have Ubuntu people work on ease of use, bringing more applications to linux etc than find "faster boot" listed as one of major improvements in last 3-4 versions of Ubuntu. Boot time got 'fixed' years ago, let's move on!

ericesque
November 14th, 2008, 05:34 AM
If your swaping OS's it makes a big difference, you'd be lying if you said it doesn't make any difference to you.

Only if we can make windows boot in a few seconds as well... typically I only swap OSs if I want to quick jump in on a game. I don't mind waiting a minute once I'm done gaming to get back into Ubuntu.

[off-topic]...okay, WHY in a custom package of Firefox for Ubuntu does the spell checker always pick up 'Ubuntu' as being spelled incorrectly?!?![/off-topic]

cardinals_fan
November 14th, 2008, 05:43 AM
The only time I ever reboot is when there's a crash or a kernel update.
So this doesn't make a difference to me.
Do you go to school/work for 6+ hours during the day? And do you sleep at least 6-8 hours per night? And do you usually leave for school/work shortly after waking up? If you answered yes to all these questions, you leave your computer on for 12+ hours of inactivity.

Well, they probably aren't swapping OSs very often, and aren't lying :D

handy
November 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
[off-topic]...okay, WHY in a custom package of Firefox for Ubuntu does the spell checker always pick up 'Ubuntu' as being spelled incorrectly?!?![/off-topic]

Add it to your FF dictionary.

Dragonbite
November 14th, 2008, 02:42 PM
That might be fun for notebooks.

But does it really matter if it's 3 seconds or 50?

Not for me.

When my wife has to go online to get directions to a birthday party they are running late for while the kids, in anticipation, are running around screaming like banshees (as only kids can really do) then 50 seconds is an ETERNITY!
:lolflag:

Seriously though I would like to have it boot up as quickly as possible! I have 2 hard drives I swap out of my laptop (each in their own tray.. convenient). One is for mine and my wife's regular use and the other is for demonstrations at the computer club Linux SIG meetings.

And 50 seconds would be a DREAM compared to my work laptop that, when plugged into the network, takes 15 minutes to boot! No joking! I timed it because my boss wants us to email her once we get in so she knows when we've gotten in and the same thing for when we are leaving. I made sure she understood that if my emails come 10-15 minutes late consistently that it isn't that I am not in the office.