PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox titlebar disappeared!!!

gneo
November 13th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Hello All,

Got a little problem. Everytime I run Firefox it takes up the whole screen and the titlebar is missing (so I can't see the "minimise window" or the "close window (x)" buttons. That only happens with Firefox. Odd? The only way to see the "Applications" etc menus is to quit firefox!!! Help?

Cobbs
November 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Try pressing F11, thats the shortcut key for fullscreen mode. Maybe FF is just starting in fullscreen mode.

gneo
November 13th, 2008, 10:52 PM
It's not maximizes. By pressing F11 it maximizes, and by pressing it again it goes normal (as in: I can see the titlebar). However, if I close it and open it again I have the same problem. Weird eh?

Fire_Chief
November 13th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I also experience this problem intermittently on my Lenovo T60 laptop. Not sure if it is related to the ATI video drivers (wouldn't think so but you never know). If anyone knows why it does this and how to make it stop, please share your wisdom.

The F11 hotkey does maximize and then correctly un-maximize the window and the title bar does re-appear so that is at least a workaround...but still irritating.

Thanks!

nisarg
November 14th, 2008, 12:36 AM
same issue here!
this is happening for me since yesterday.
i use FlashBlock extension - which i remember updated roughly the same time... not sure if thats what is causing it?
i have tried removing the extension, but that hasn't helped...

any ideas anyone?

gneo
November 14th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Problem insist. Any help? Anyone?

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 11:40 PM
It is compiz workaround plugin bug.

System > Preferences > CompizConfig Settings Manager > Workarounds > General

Untick legacy fullscreen support

Merlintrix
November 15th, 2008, 09:52 AM

That worked beautifully. Thanks!
How come the error was Firefox specific though?

Ichido
November 15th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Here is Where & How I fixed mine:
1)Synaptics Package Manager->
2)Downloaded & Installed "Compizconfig-settings-manager 0.7.4-0ubuntu2".
3)System>Preferences>Advanced Desktop Effects Settings>Utility>
4)Un-Checked "Scale Window Title Filter".
:)

Jan Ziska
November 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM

this didn't work for me. I have compiz disabled via the no special effects setting. Would this be the reason?

PeeZz
January 18th, 2009, 05:29 PM

This did the job for me. Strange though...

earthtux
February 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I didnt enable compiz, but i still get this weird behavior
anyone can help me?
thx

Spalding
March 14th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I don't have Compiz in my System>Preferences menu but I have the same problem. My install is just a month old and all was fine until a couple of few weeks ago - could it have been an update? I'll update now and see if there is a fix in the new updates (yeah, right!). I am using an Invidia driver but that was a week or so before the problem appeared.

ihasapancake
March 15th, 2009, 10:05 AM
Hit "Alt-F2" to bring up the "Run Application" box and type in (without the quotes): "metacity --replace" and see if that restores the title bar. It worked for me.

munkydust
July 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Worked for me. Thank you very much!

moody_mark
July 14th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Thank you from me too, I thought id gone mad, upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10 and it started going like this. Shame we cant thank people in the forums anymore.

3dmatrix
July 17th, 2009, 05:59 AM
Hit "Alt-F2" to bring up the "Run Application" box and type in (without the quotes): "metacity --replace" and see if that restores the title bar. It worked for me.

It worked for me too :)

TNT1
September 28th, 2010, 12:54 PM

Shot. I just ran upgrade manager, installed new kernel, rebooted and my title bars in all windows were gone. This trick worked. Thanks.

BagB
February 17th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Even if this thread is a bit dated, here goes -

For my system - Ubuntu 10.04, with CompizConfig Settings Manager installed. On the "CompizConfig Settings Manage" I had to select "Preferences" on the left panel, and use for the "Backend" the option - "Flat-file Configuration Backend". This freezes most inputs, so I had to reset the machine by switching the power off. On restart I got back the title bar and was back in business.

I know its not an elegant solution, but it worked for me

Copper Bezel
February 17th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Ironically, because I primarily use Chrome and am running on a netbook and because Firefox is heavy but handles video better than Chrome, etc., while I've never had this problem, I do have Firefox set up through Compiz to always run maximized and without window decorations. = )