PDA

View Full Version : just got my ACT score back

myusername
November 13th, 2008, 08:19 PM
im a junior in highschool and im planning on going to Georgia Tech for college. well i just got my ACT score back....i got a 21 :/ the sad part was i did the worst on science and math. my two best subjects. i did the best on english...which is weird cause thats my worst subject. so is a 21 bad? what kind of scores did u guys get?

Heinzelotto
November 13th, 2008, 08:27 PM
21 is the average: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/9/9c/2005_ACT_Verteilung.jpeg

Pogeymanz
November 13th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I didn't take the ACT, so I have no idea. Did you take the SAT? Some people are just better at one test and not the other.

I would say to just take it again. They probably caught you on a low swing.

Viranh
November 13th, 2008, 10:59 PM
The deadline for college applications is usually in the spring anyway, so just take it again. Now you know what to study. My English score was higher too, and I'm a mechanical engineering student. I'm much better at math and logical reasoning than writing and always have been. It's my opinion that the ACT is not a very good test.

EDIT: I see you're a junior. It's definitely not a big deal then. You've got plenty of time to take it again, or try the SAT. The tests were pretty different (at least as I remember them).

My school requires:
1. a 22 on the ACT OR graduate in the upper half of your high school class OR have a 2.5 GPA
2. an ACT math score of 18 or above or 4 years of high school math
3. an ACT score of 18 on the combined writing/English section or a 3 or better on the AP English exam.

However, I personally know several people who did not meet these requirements and got in.

Kingsley
November 14th, 2008, 12:02 AM
The science section is a killer. It was my lowest score (23) and English was my best, which is kinda weird because I'm a Chemistry major now. I'm guessing that's because it's at the end of the test.

If you're not happy with your score, I say take it again. You still have plenty of time.

sean09
November 14th, 2008, 12:04 AM
As was already stated, the deadline isn't until around Spring, so you can always take it again.

Plus, the SAT is also very important. Not all hope is lost. :KS