PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Grub mess

dakkar9999
November 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Ok, after intalling Ibex and trying for a while, I was getting a lot of lock up and all, so I decided to go back to 8.04.

But my 8.04 install was a wubi. I decided to transfer the wubi install to its own hd using lubi.

Configuration as follow.

/dev/sda = boot window and wubi
/dev/sdb = storage hd
/dev/sdc = my newly transfered 8.04 install

If I choose to boot from /dev/sdb, I have press escape then point to the new ubuntu 8.04 install (default would load the old wubi install). Then I get a grub error 15. If I press e to see the lines it shows root()ubuntu...

If I manually insert (hd0,0) then boot, it boots ok in the new install.

But if I try to save my changes by going through the terminal

sudo grub
root (hd0,0) it tells me that it's a 017 partition (or something like that, I'm writing from memory) and it can't save the change.

If I change the boot drive to /dev/sdc, I encounter the same problem, except I am presented with the new install as the first grub instead of the window/wubi grub. I also get the grub error 15. Then, if I manually change the root target (hd0,0), it does boot.

Lastly, the grub is now very messy, wich multiple entries for windows and ubuntu.

What are your suggestions?

Thanks!

caljohnsmith
November 13th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Go ahead and boot into your new sdc Ubuntu install, open a terminal (applications > accessories > terminal), and do:

gksudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
And then you can edit your menu.lst so that the Ubuntu entries use (hd0,0). Also be sure to change the "# groot=(hdX,Y)" line to also use (hd0,0). Once you are sure your new sdc Ubuntu works OK, you could go ahead and uninstall your Wubi version by going to "Add/Remove Programs" in the Windows Control Panel, and then you shouldn't get any option to boot Ubuntu from the Windows boot loader menu. Let me know how it goes. :)

dakkar9999
November 13th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Yup! You did it again! Thanks!

I'm starting to know my way around Grub thanks to you and the Ubuntu community!

caljohnsmith
November 14th, 2008, 12:06 AM
Yes, you are obviously catching on really fast with this Grub stuff. Glad you were able to successfully move your Wubi installation over and get it working; that's no small feat. Anyway, cheers and have fun with it. :)