PDA

View Full Version : Hello World!

tenzenryu
December 2nd, 2005, 06:42 PM
Hi,

read the bit about Window trolls and 2 things chimed with me:

1. the definition of troll is definitely just 'someone I disagree with because they don't toe the party line' in the majority of cases. While it is true some people do that deliberately - some are coming from a thinking species from another planet and do genuinely have a different viewpoint and reasons for holding it.

2. Moving from Windows to Linux is hard but it's hard for a simple reason. If I have a problem with Windows I go to Windows Help, my organisation help desk, a big manual, the Microsoft web site and my MS support team in that order. This 'community of support' does not exist the same way in Linux and hence you end up Googling for hours to find a simple answer to a simple question.

For example, I wrote a hello world program in c++ to test the installation of gcc and guess what the following did not work

$ gcc hello.cpp

because the ubuntu release requires you to tell gcc specifically to attach the c++ libraries

$ g++ hello.cpp -o hello.o

works fine.

Any manuals where that is written down. And yes this community could have answered the question but it might have taken a while. Moving from Windows to Linux takes away the support system Windows developers are used to, hence the angst.

T

Buchuki
December 2nd, 2005, 06:45 PM
Any manuals where that is written down.

man gcc

And you didn't even have to pay MSDN. ;-)

Dusty

lleb
December 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi,

read the bit about Window trolls and 2 things chimed with me:

1. the definition of troll is definitely just 'someone I disagree with because they don't toe the party line' in the majority of cases. While it is true some people do that deliberately - some are coming from a thinking species from another planet and do genuinely have a different viewpoint and reasons for holding it.

2. Moving from Windows to Linux is hard but it's hard for a simple reason. If I have a problem with Windows I go to Windows Help, my organisation help desk, a big manual, the Microsoft web site and my MS support team in that order. This 'community of support' does not exist the same way in Linux and hence you end up Googling for hours to find a simple answer to a simple question.

For example, I wrote a hello world program in c++ to test the installation of gcc and guess what the following did not work

$ gcc hello.cpp

because the ubuntu release requires you to tell gcc specifically to attach the c++ libraries

$ g++ hello.cpp -o hello.o

works fine.

Any manuals where that is written down. And yes this community could have answered the question but it might have taken a while. Moving from Windows to Linux takes away the support system Windows developers are used to, hence the angst.

T

Hmm, i have found the exact opposite. I have been and still do support MS in the network ADS enviroment as well as the desktop workstation and gaming worlds.

At no time have i had to call MS, or go any further then the manufactures call desk for support ONCE i learned from someone how to work in the MS world.

In the MS world, there is no place to go to READ the code to see why it is acting stupid, or not the way it is intended to work. I can in linux. In MS world there is no way to troubleshoot software and hardware problems without paying for the manufacture to do something they should of done before they sold the product.

anyways, enough ranting on MS.

In linux there are things called web forums, and LUGs. You have heard of the forums as you are on one right now. As for a LUG, that may be an other story. LUG = local user group, or Linux user group. These are groups of other linux users who are willing to get together and talk about linux, help solve problems, help TEACH new people how to use and run and install linux.

you do not see that in the MS world do you? when was the last time you saw anyone in the MS world giving of their FREE time and training users how to install, configure, hack their windows systems for FREE???

does not happen in the MS world, but it happens every day in the linux world. Support in linux is better documented, faster, and when you go to the right place is easier to get then it ever has been in the MS world.

Can it be a royal PITA when you start out? heck ya it can. does it have to stay that way? nope. go find your local LUG. sign up and use big forums like this one and Linuxquestions.org, find a friend, internet or local, who is willing to mentor you in the ways of linux.

do those things and your learning curve in linux will/can be shortend and become much less painful.

I know, ive only been using linux for a little over 2 years so i hear exactly were you are coming from as it was not to long ago i felt alone, lost, and out of my league with this thing called Linux. now i am more comfortable and know were to get answeres that i can not find readily on my own.