PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem with dpkg --configure -a

November 13th, 2008, 06:46 PM
First I would like to say "Hello" to all ubuntuforums.org members as this is my first contact.
Today I managed to prepare a 1GB USB Stick to run Ubuntu 8.10 (downloaded from www.ubuntu.com) on my Aspire One.
Looks good - feels good - but WLan did not work. Found out that
"sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic" should solve the problem. But I am getting the error: dpkg was interrupted, manually run dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem
When I do so theres an other error telling me, that there was a problem when parsing file /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067 near line 1 Fieldname #padding
I took a look at this file - its full with:
#padding
#padding
#padding
anyone any idea how to solve this?
Chris

oilchangeguy
November 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
in the terminal type sudo dpkg --configure -a and press enter.

November 13th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks for your quick reply!
Thats what I did half the day - but always getting the "padding" error stated in my first thread.

rv53705
November 13th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I'm getting the same problem. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=981003)

Steve1961
November 13th, 2008, 06:57 PM
First I would like to say "Hello" to all ubuntuforums.org members as this is my first contact.
Today I managed to prepare a 1GB USB Stick to run Ubuntu 8.10 (downloaded from www.ubuntu.com) on my Aspire One.
Looks good - feels good - but WLan did not work. Found out that
"sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-intrepid-generic" should solve the problem. But I am getting the error: dpkg was interrupted, manually run dpkg --configure -a to correct the problem
When I do so theres an other error telling me, that there was a problem when parsing file /var/lib/dpkg/updates/0067 near line 1 Fieldname #padding
I took a look at this file - its full with:
#padding
#padding
#padding

anyone any idea how to solve this?
Chris

Well I don't have that file in /var/lib/dpkg/updates/ so I'd be tempted to recommend getting rid of it, or at least move it somewhere else. However, that's what I would do and there might be a better way. perhaps wait to see of there are other suggestions. Also, you might try running sudo apt-get clean to see if that helps.

November 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Hy Steve 1961!
Will try and report!
Thanks

November 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Well - removing the file solved the problem - but the next appeared...
some files in bad condition (think it was the update-manager)....
I will now try to copy the whole image to the stick again.
Good luck rv53705

cariboo
November 13th, 2008, 07:54 PM
Have you tried going to System-->Administration-->Synaptic Package Manager-->Edit-->Fix Broken Packages?

Jim

Pumalite
November 13th, 2008, 07:57 PM
You can also try in the Terminal:
sudeo apt-get -f install
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade