PDA

View Full Version : WOOHOO My Mini 9 just arrived!

starcannon
November 13th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Boots VERY fast, wow. BRB with the first 10 minute geek jerk reaction :)

Okay, it rocks, all that I have to do is put a few of my favorite applications on there, and enable medibuntu. I'm sure there most be something about it that I won't like, but already a hands down winner. I have the Asus 2g, 4g, and 8g, and while the 4g and 8g are both very nice machines, Dell has raised the bar with this little guy. I am very happy I waited for the Ubuntu version, I know I won't be regretting it; shipped with a restore disk as well, as a umpc fanboi I already have an external drive so I'm set to mess this thing up :)

Ubuntu version on this little guy is 8.04.1 the Hardy Heron.

Mazza558
November 13th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Nice. Sounds like it's a pretty solid machine. I'd be tempted if I wasn't already getting the Pandora.

starcannon
November 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
It came with really nice video chat software to, Dell Video Chat, so far I'm a happy camper. I haven't looked at the Pandora recently, I vaguely remember reading about it this last summer.

I'm as bad as a kid on christmas at the moment, and its here in time to take it to my first LUG meeting next wednesday WOOT. Okay okay I'll see if I can locate my dignity, think it might be in the shipping carton, I'll look there first.

Ah yeah the Pandora, I remember now after looking at the website. Very cool machine, already on back order wow, I think that little umpc could handsdown own the market; likely the only "problem" they are really going to have is, how to fill all the orders.

Sealbhach
November 13th, 2008, 11:30 PM
What about that diskspace error? Has it been fixed?

http://gizmodo.com/5065657/dell-inspiron-mini-9-ships-with-annoying-disk-partition-error

init1
November 14th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Nice. Sounds like it's a pretty solid machine. I'd be tempted if I wasn't already getting the Pandora.
You like the Pandora? I had no idea ;)

smartboyathome
November 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
This would be perfect for me if it had a 6 cell battery available (I would even pay extra for it!). As it is, its still looks good. :)

zmjjmz
November 14th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the club ;)
I find the touchpad is way too sensitive for my tastes, but I mostly use the keyboard (Vimperator and xmonad) so it doesn't matter as much.

starcannon
November 14th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I have no errors of any kind on my Mini,I opted for the 16g, and it reports the correct disk size and usage using system monitor.
Now that I've had it 24 hours, about the only thing I really don't like about this umpc is the keyboard layout; dell should have used the same keyboards that Asus used, or if they really wanted these maximized keys, they should have done the lay out a bit different. My biggest complaint on the keyboard layout is the location of the apostrophe key, next is the lack of an F11 and F12 key, the - and + keys should have been left on the same row as usualy, and the Backspace key should have been moved down where they -+ keys are. The apostrophe key should have been left in its normal location and the caps lock key should have been assigned an FN key to allow for that.

All in all though, with a little practice, these are minor annoyances, that will fade with time. My personal rating would be 4.5/5 stars, this thing works perfectly out of the box.

Oh and Dell if you ever stumble on this post, /home should be on its own partition.
P.S. heres output of fdisk -l

mymini@mymini:~$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for mymini:

Disk /dev/sda: 15.4 GB, 15408046080 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1873 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: obscured

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 3 24066 de Dell Utility
/dev/sda2 * 4 1873 15020775 83 Linux
mymini@mymini:~$

zmjjmz
November 15th, 2008, 03:39 AM
Does anyone else have trouble using ssh?

Mazza558
November 15th, 2008, 04:52 PM
You like the Pandora? I had no idea ;)

Since the end of August, yes ;)