PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] all web browsers "poof"

blake82
November 13th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm having a really frustrating problem.

For about a week or two now, firefox, and all other browsers I've tried (epiphany and seamonkey) will just randomly quit on me. No warning, no repeatable cause that I can figure out, just out of the blue, "poof" it's gone.

It started around the time I installed wine, and perasive sql for wine.

So I uninstalled pervasive, and uninstalled the gecko component of Wine. No change.

Please let me know if there's anyway I can fix them.

Thanks,

Blake

prshah
November 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
For about a week or two now, firefox, and all other browsers I've tried (epiphany and seamonkey) will just randomly quit on me. No warning, no repeatable cause that I can figure out, just out of the blue, "poof" it's gone.

I'm pointing fingers at flash. Here's how to check. Open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and run the browser from that
firefox Now you will get a bunch of output in the terminal; use the browser till it blows up, and then post back the last 15~20 lines in the terminal.

It'd help if you also did this with a couple of other browsers.

blake82
November 13th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Good idea! I hadn't thought of that. Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes.

timjohn7
November 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I've been having the same problem using Opera 9.6 as default and Firefox as alternative. Same symptoms... unpredictable crash with no obvious symptoms. I don't believe that it is related to wine as my crashes happened both before & after wine installation & use.
Both browsers restart and recover without a problem, but the problem is disturbing. I'm running fully updated Ubuntu 8.10 on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L6285 with a Gig RAM

blake82
November 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
This is still happening very regularly.

I've disabled ALL plugins, but any browser I'm working with, Firefox, epiphany, seamonkey, and opera, will all unexpectedly crash, so I don't think it's a bug with one browser.

This tends to happen when I'm loading a page, but also happens out of the blue.

Is this a problem everyone's experiening, or is it isolated to just a few people???

keithld
November 19th, 2008, 10:59 PM
Have you tried deleting the Default Profile and creating a new one?...

in Terminal: firefox -ProfileManager

I had the problem of Firefox crashing a lot because I imported my Firefox Windows Bookmarks and this fixed it...

I know this may not be the problem your having but deleting & creating a new profile does help with a few problems...

wadelewis4
November 19th, 2008, 11:00 PM
I'm pointing fingers at flash. Here's how to check. Open a terminal (Applications-Accessories-Terminal) and run the browser from that

+1

The only time a browser has ever, as you said, went "poof!" and just disappeared on my system, was when Flash went all wonky. Remove flashplugin-nonfree and reinstall. That should fix it right up.

blake82
November 19th, 2008, 11:08 PM
No, I didn't import a profile from windows

I've uninstalled the flash plugin though...

Hope it works

Thanks!

blake82
November 19th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Yep... still crashing with flash uninstalled.

It does seem to be triggered by certain pages though.

This one for example:

http://thehomebased.com/?p=60

Tomatz
November 19th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Close all browsers

Uninstall flashplugin-nonfree

Go here:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Drop the dropdownbox (select version to install) and select "deb for ubuntu 8.04"

Download, close browser again and install

Hopefully that will fix the issue ;)

blake82
November 20th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Very cool!

So far so good! Thanks guys!

Anyone have any thoughts on my other issue?

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=982425