PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.10 locks up at main menu

drfocus
November 13th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I downloaded the 8.10 iso, verified it with md5sum, and burned it to cd. When the cd boots to the main menu, no matter which selection I make, my cd rom stops spinning and the system locks up. I burned another cd and got the same result. BTW, Version 8.04 runs fine on this same computer.

Thanks in advance,
David

sukhhari
November 13th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Could you please specify your System / Computer Configuration and try to read Hardware requirement Section.

ttrout
November 21st, 2008, 06:29 PM
I'm having the same issue. I am running the following:

Dell OptiPlex GX520
Pentium D 3GHz
2GB RAM
75GB SATA Hard Drive

I have downloaded the ubuntu 8.10 amd64 Desktop ISO and confirmed the MD5 checksum as well. I have found that it's not actually locked. If you leave the system for a long time, it will eventually start the installation. I'm wondering if there is a BIOS issue that may need to be looked at?

Thank you,
Travis Trout

JiltedCitizen
November 21st, 2008, 08:44 PM
I've had the same thing happen. I eventually got it to run and install. But I still get some errors and I get a mouse issue. see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989211

ttrout
November 21st, 2008, 10:06 PM
I've had the same thing happen. I eventually got it to run and install. But I still get some errors and I get a mouse issue. see here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=989211

How did you eventually get it to install? I just tried the 32bit version of 8.10 and same thing happened. I tried the 8.04 LTS 32bit version and still not working. I pulled out my 6.10 version and it's the latest version that actually works on my pc. What's the problem with the newer versions?

Thank you,
Travis

vibe666
November 21st, 2008, 11:55 PM
same here, using a hp/compaq d540 desktop.

it doesn't lock up though, it just won't accept the enter command from they keyboard, despite accepting pretty much any other option. i can use f1 etc. and anything not involving the cd drive it's just every time i hit the enter key my cd drive spins up for a second then nothing. even the memtest isn't working.

gonna try burning another disc tomorrow see if that fixes it. burnt hardy and also mint 5 using the same drive, pc and even cd media and installed on the same box without problems. very weird. :(

JiltedCitizen
November 23rd, 2008, 05:10 AM
How did you eventually get it to install? I just tried the 32bit version of 8.10 and same thing happened. I tried the 8.04 LTS 32bit version and still not working. I pulled out my 6.10 version and it's the latest version that actually works on my pc. What's the problem with the newer versions?

Thank you,
TravisPersistance. Still does not work though. I can't upgrade or use the mouse. Time for another distro.