PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Magazine?

alpha
January 1st, 2005, 08:47 PM
What is the best Linux Magazine on the newstands? Magazines available in the UK only please. :D

Ste
January 1st, 2005, 09:21 PM
What is the best Linux Magazine on the newstands? Magazines available in the UK only please. :D
Not that many to choose from, I usually try and read LinuxFormat if I can get my hands on a copy. Nice cd/dvd on the front each month. Has ubuntu Warty cd this month and on the dvd Fedora Core 3.

BWF89
January 2nd, 2005, 01:40 AM
While were on the subject, does anyone know any good Linux magazines in the US? I'm thinking of dumping my official Playstation magazine because I don't get around to reading them anymore...

Would a magazine tell you anything an uber Linux fanatic like my wouldn't allready read on some of the websites I go to like Linuxtimes.net and eWEEK.com?

stoneguy
January 2nd, 2005, 01:55 AM

As a previous poster said, there aren't a lot. You're lucky being in the UK. Europe is where the best Linux mags come from, and it costs more than the exchange rates to buy them in either North American $.

Linux Magazine, Linux Format, Linux User and Developer are all good. They would be pretty intimidating for rank beginners though.

For newbies, TUX magazine is starting up, edited by Marcel Gagne. Don't know what its newsstand availability will be on your side, but Marcel is a clear writer and speaker (has been at some TLUG meetings here). Even though I'm somewhat beyond the newbie stage, I'll be getting a mail sub for the first year to support it. Surviving in the magazine busness is pretty tough.

I'd rather put my $ into learning and use community distros than buy boxed sets.

Lovechild
January 2nd, 2005, 01:58 AM
I stopped buying Linux magazines as they didn't suit my needs - at least Linux Format didn't which was what I could get here at the time.

I subscribe to lwn.net for kernel and general news, read kerneltrap and kerneltraffic. Then I read some planet.gnome.org and read a few mailing lists.

Really newstand magazines can't match your personal selection, just get a good spam filter if you plan to subscribe to mailinglists.

HiddenWolf
January 2nd, 2005, 04:39 AM
I stopped buying Linux magazines as they didn't suit my needs - at least Linux Format didn't which was what I could get here at the time.

I subscribe to lwn.net for kernel and general news, read kerneltrap and kerneltraffic. Then I read some planet.gnome.org and read a few mailing lists.

Really newstand magazines can't match your personal selection, just get a good spam filter if you plan to subscribe to mailinglists.

Get yourself a gmail to subsribe to mailing lists. Have gmail's spam filters do the work.
set some rules to make sure each list ends in it's own folder, and you're good. :-)

Lovechild
January 2nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
I am already gnomeuser funny-a gmail dot com :)

Quest-Master
January 2nd, 2005, 06:39 AM
LinuxJournal is a nice one I saw at B&N the other day. They had a column on Ubuntu last month too. :D

jiyuu0
January 2nd, 2005, 09:02 AM
LinuxWorld Past Issues

You can download the entire year 2004 issues in PDF format... Free!
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jiyuu0/11228.html

word_virus
January 2nd, 2005, 09:26 AM
While were on the subject, does anyone know any good Linux magazines in the US?

My personal favorite is Linux Journal. Don't know if it's available on UK newsstands, but you can order every back issue since 1994 on a cd from their website for, like, 30 bucks, which is pretty cool. They feature a "Cooking With Linux" column written by Marcel Gagne (also a writer for TUX magazine, mentioned elsewhere in this thread), usually informative, but I will warn you his faux-French accent can get a little annoying!

TheAreopagite
January 31st, 2005, 01:14 AM
Linux User and Developer is definitely worth a look. It has a lot of coverage of 'wider world' issues like evoting in the US presidential elections and prospective ID cards here in the UK, more than enough to make up for the fact that the technical articles tend to go over my head.

And I got Ubuntu from an LU&D coverdisk ;)

KiwiNZ
January 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM
Best English Linux mag I have found , even in my far flung edge of the empire is Linuxformat. I buy everymonth ,but its expensive here at $34 for the DVD cover disk version.

Dylanby
January 31st, 2005, 02:00 PM
$34 !?
Do you have to pay tax on that? That just makes me mad thinking about it.
I can't stand having to pay tax on books & magazines.

KiwiNZ
February 1st, 2005, 12:32 AM
The $34 is inclusive of tax. The main reason its $34 is our pathetic exchange rate against the UK currency , and the transport cost to our South Pacific paradise

king20878
February 1st, 2005, 04:32 AM
Linux Format out of the UK gets my vote as well. I think it has something for every level of user, something I think a lot of other magazines lack. The DVD is excellent as well.

Jad
February 1st, 2005, 11:51 AM
LinuxWorld is cool

ubuntu_fan
February 1st, 2005, 12:05 PM
I guess that poses the question - which online mags do people read and how do they find they equate with the print versions?

As for print mags though, I'd go for LinuxFormat in the UK...