PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened Xubuntu Mac OS X Style...

mhancoc7
December 2nd, 2005, 04:39 PM
I have been using Xubuntu (xfce4) for the last few days. It absolutely ROCKS!! I can't get over how fast it runs. And it is very stylish as well. I have read about the Enlightenment window manager. I decided to give it a go with Xubuntu (xfce4). It is the closest to perfect setup that I have tried for my old Compaq Armada 1750. It feels like it runs even faster using Enlightenment instead of the default xfwm4. I have even found a great Mac OS X theme for it. I have attached a few screenshots to show it off. One is of a clean desktop. The other has rox and a terminal window open. I really like this setup. It is nice to have a truly "hybrid" desktop.

God Bless, Jereme

Edit: I just added a screenshot running ******* 98se with win4lin. I just thought it looked cool. Imagine the face of your average computer user when they see what appears to be *******/Mac/Linux on a PC.

xequence
December 2nd, 2005, 09:53 PM
That bottom bar, is that the normal for xubuntu, or did you change it? (As in the way it is - Normal XFCE has it a bit different. Smaller and to the middle more.)

Brunellus
December 2nd, 2005, 10:19 PM
so we can expect an Enlightened Xubuntu howto on the forums and the wiki soon?

poofyhairguy
December 2nd, 2005, 11:51 PM
Good idea.

mhancoc7
December 3rd, 2005, 01:30 AM
xequence:

That bottom bar, is that the normal for xubuntu, or did you change it? (As in the way it is - Normal XFCE has it a bit different. Smaller and to the middle more.)

It is the normal xfce4 bar. I just added the taskbar to it and set it to expand to fit the screen. I also added several launchers.

Brunellus

so we can expect an Enlightened Xubuntu howto on the forums and the wiki soon?

I will see if I can put something together. I am not sure how soon I can get it together. I am glad to see that someone is interested.

God Bless, Jereme

majikstreet
December 3rd, 2005, 02:01 AM
nice...

mhancoc7
December 3rd, 2005, 11:26 AM
Ok, this is not a How To:, but I did post the basics of how I am running my new "Enlightened Xubuntu". It is a pretty noobish way to do it, but it is easy and does not require any editing of config files.

Here is the link to the post:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=540367&postcount=16

Let me know what you think. :)

God Bless, Jereme

bionnaki
December 3rd, 2005, 11:28 AM
I never understood the appeal of using explicit OSX or Mac themes (Apple logos nonetheless) on windows or linux boxes. To me, that's like putting a Honda logo on a Ford.

:confused:

mhancoc7
December 3rd, 2005, 11:34 AM
I just like the way the Mac OS X theme feels. It feels "clean" and not like *******!

I also like the feeling of having my own hybrid desktop by combining the elements of Xfce4, Enlightenment, and Mac Theme.

To me it is like adding ground effects to a pick up truck. Some people may not get it, but the guy driving sure feels cool. ha! ha!

God Bless, Jereme