PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Belkin f5d7050 not working

seth_reaver
November 13th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Ok i am new so please do not talk in linux gibberish please!
well i installed the drivers and wireless network is setup but when i plug in my usb wireless it will not even attempt to work. It works on my xp side fine though any help?

Ps: using a compaq v6000 laptop running the newest Ubuntu 8.10 i believe

seth_reaver
November 13th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Help?

C.S.Cameron
November 13th, 2008, 08:07 PM
I have three F5D7050 on different Ubuntu computers, all of them are plug and play, I never installed any drivers, just plugged them in and they worked.
With Windows I needed to install drivers for them.

teaker1s
November 13th, 2008, 08:15 PM
be very careful of product version changes as hardware is sometimes changed

lsusb should help identify it

seth_reaver
November 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
thx ill try it

james_vanb
November 14th, 2008, 05:18 AM
I've always had to use ndiswrapper to install the drivers for this usb adapter. Install has been the same using ndiswrapper and the Belkin install cd as follows:

Unplug adapter before you boot.

Install ndiswrapper through Synaptic.

Open terminal.

Remove the following drivers using these commands:

sudo modprobe -r rt2500usb
sudo modprobe -r rt73usb

I'm not sure that this actually removes the drivers, but after 3 weeks of farting around with them it made me feel better.

Blacklist rt2500usb and rt73usb by opening text editor (mousepad for Xubuntu - gedit for Ubuntu) as follows:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

add "blacklist rt2500usb" and "blacklist rt73usb" (Without the quotes) to end of list, save and close.

REBOOT

This is where the guides I was following failed. Blacklist doesn't work until you reboot. If you don't, the wrong driver will be associated.

On your desktop, open "Home" - right click in an open area and create a file - I called mine "Belkin". Insert the install cd. Open and navigate to the driver file under XP. there will be 3 files. Copy all 3 files to the file you created under "Home" by dragging and dropping. The drivers will not load directly from the cd.

Now install the driver you just copied with the following (If the .inf file you copied is not the rt73, replace as appropriate below) :

sudo ndiswrapper -i /home/(your user name)/Belkin/rt73.inf

Insert the wireless adapter.

Now issue the following commands:

sudo depmod -a
sudo modprobe ndiswrapper

I think these create the module. Now edit modules to load ndiswrapper when you boot as follows (If you are using Xubuntu, replace gedit with mousepad):

sudo gedit /etc/modules

Add "ndiswrapper" (without quotes) to the end of the list.

Establish alias with following command:

sudo ndiswrapper -m

Reboot