PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint?

Shroomer
November 13th, 2008, 03:45 AM
What are your opinions on this distro?

Ozor Mox
November 13th, 2008, 03:50 AM
It looks like a nice enough distro but I've always only seen it as Ubuntu with a different theme and some pre-installed junk like codecs, Java, drivers etc. Some of the tools they have made look pretty nifty though. Although, and I know this is stupid, I could not use it simply because of the irritating naming scheme! I wouldn't mind so much if those were simply code names, but they appear on the menu in the bottom left in every release.

Simply put, why not just use Ubuntu?

SomeGuyDude
November 13th, 2008, 03:55 AM
It's Ubuntu with some additions the devs felt Ubuntu was missing. It seems to work on some machines while straight Ubuntu doesn't, and they have a handful of nifty ideas like the Mint Menu, but in my experience it's just a glossy Ubuntu with not nearly enough to distinguish itself.

hardyn
November 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
i really liked the out of the box media, which is why i chose it for my media pc... but i would have to agree it is for the most part just ubuntu with different menu.

wolfen69
November 13th, 2008, 04:02 AM
i have 2 favorite live cd's. sabayon and linuxmint. they are awesome. but for install? no.

actually i would lean towards sabayon as far as usability ootb experience. (sabayon just had a point release) i applaud that. that makes for one hell of a live cd/dvd.

kk0sse54
November 13th, 2008, 04:06 AM
I run Linux Mint Xfce edition on a 256 MB computer for my sis and she loves it, too bloated for me but an absolutely fantastic distro for the less computer or linux savvy or just those who like that out of the box experience for things like pre-installed media.

wolfen69
November 13th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I run Linux Mint Xfce edition on a 256 MB computer for my sis and she loves it, too bloated for me but an absolutely fantastic distro for the less computer or linux savvy or just those who like that out of the box experience for things like pre-installed media.

for a scenario like that, it is perfect. keep spreading the word. :guitar:

gn2
November 13th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Linux Mint is an excellent starting point for a new Linux user.

Currently it's the distro I recommend if anyone asks me how to get started using Linux.

The new Mint6 RC1 (http://www.linuxmint.com/rel_felicia_whatsnew.php) has some pretty useful features.
Love the Mint Nanny illustration....

eternalnewbee
November 13th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi gn2.
I just followed the link you provided and I see several options to download. Do you know if they're all Live as well as install CDs? (2 in 1)

gn2
November 13th, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hi gn2.
I just followed the link you provided and I see several options to download. Do you know if they're all Live as well as install CDs? (2 in 1)

Yes, all Mint versions linked from the Downloads page (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php) are Live CD's with install capability.

If you want the Mint 6 Release Candidate 1 it's here (http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=430).

eternalnewbee
November 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM
I thank you for this useful post):P

NWAdawg
November 13th, 2008, 12:36 PM
I really like Linuxmint. I've been running it on all my computers for some time now. I recommend it to everyone I can.

LarsKongo
November 13th, 2008, 12:37 PM
It's just a bit more bloated than Ubuntu, but it does feel more complete I think. I like MintUpdate much better than update-manager. I feel more safe when all the updates are ranked from 1-5. I can set it to only install level 1-2 updates and not worry about some update breaking my system.

Half-Left
November 13th, 2008, 12:51 PM
It looks like a nice enough distro but I've always only seen it as Ubuntu with a different theme and some pre-installed junk like codecs, Java, drivers etc. Some of the tools they have made look pretty nifty though. Although, and I know this is stupid, I could not use it simply because of the irritating naming scheme! I wouldn't mind so much if those were simply code names, but they appear on the menu in the bottom left in every release.

Simply put, why not just use Ubuntu?

Alot of people would say the samething about Ubuntu, they see it say just debian. I much prefer Linux Mint and it ALOT better defaults IMHO and looks slick with their own tools.

bwhite82
November 13th, 2008, 12:57 PM
You're going to largely get biased views on an Ubuntu forum. I'd say there is a reason this little spin-off is ranked number 3 on distrowatch. I installed it by adding their repo and installing a meta-package. More things were different than I thought. They use a version of grub called gfxgrub which can use nice eyecandy grub splash images. Also, quite a few mint-developed apps were installed.

dburnett77
November 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
On my system, with LinuxMint I get the flash of compiz without problems I have in Ubuntu.

Ubuntu's my favorite, but LinuxMint gets installed when I want to play with glitzy desktop features.
Seems the sound is a little richer, too. And, yes it has codecs pre-installed; so when I have to do a lot of re-installs consecutively, I usually go for that distro (my ISP is merciless at times, and allows tons of rogue code).

AndyCooll
November 13th, 2008, 02:01 PM
There's quite a bit of talk on Linux Mint on the Other OS Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=147&order=desc&page=2) section of these forums, including in particular this thread: Linux Mint Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=299756). I'm sure you'll get some interesting comments there.

:cool:

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 02:24 PM
There is no alternate cd method for Latest Linux Mint (6) as far as i see(i may be missed it at installation menu, i just quick checked) and most of ati cards will be failed to load installer.I was going to install Mint instead of Ibex

gn2
November 13th, 2008, 02:35 PM
There is no alternate cd method for Latest Linux Mint (6) as far as i see~

Perhaps the nearest option would be using the additional boot parameter only-ubiquity if it's available?

darrenn
November 13th, 2008, 03:25 PM
You need 512 megs of ram to install fluxbox mint? It's awesome that they created it. But they still have a lot of work to do.

eternalnewbee
November 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
You need 512 megs of ram to install fluxbox mint? It's awesome that they created it. But they still have a lot of work to do.
Using Ubuntu is like gardening: there's no end to it, but still, what would you do without a garden?........................................... ......................
HOLY SMOKES & GEE WHIZZZZ, Talking about Ubuntu is like...........................
Sorry mods. I can see the border now, and I'll best be heading back to my hometown.