PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Intipunku 0.4 pre 2

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hi!
I would like to promote my photo manager Intipunku. Intipunku has been an attempt to provide a good feature rich photo manager for linux. At the moment Intipunku offers many things.
* Quick and easy photo filters and correction (incl redeye)
* Manual controls for contrast, brightness, temperature and colors
* Panorama creation
* Tagger
* Export to html album, flickr, picasaweb, flash video
* Import from camera, directory and picasaweb
* Translated in many languages
and more...

Currently i have released 0.4-pre2. It contains some bugs, however I would like to see how people think about it.

I fully support ubuntu (incl mint). There is an installer that configures you apt repo and adds intipunku repo, it will ask you for which optional components you would like to install and then finally installs. You can also easily install the apt repo and then install it with the package manager, when you want to access a feature in intipunku it will ask you whether you want to install the necessary package.

Check out all this at: http://intipunku.berlios.de

I ve attached some screenshots.

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 02:06 AM
It is cool to see linux photo management softwares.But the installer script SHOULD only be executable via root only.You should end the script if not runned via root or root privilages.

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 09:26 AM
No because i use gtksudo do install the packages. So you can start it was user and then it will ask for passwords. Doesn't it work?

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 02:21 PM
No because i use gtksudo do install the packages. So you can start it was user and then it will ask for passwords. Doesn't it work?

If there is a missing key at apt it does not work.

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 03:01 PM
How come, i do this with synaptic and synaptic will simply say no verified or something and you can override it.

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I dont know but importing my missing key file (wine repo) , it works perfect

I guess the problem is occurs when you try to write :

# Intipunk APT repository
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/intipunku/ubuntu hardy main

I didnt check the script but after adding this you probably give apt-get update command and it stucks there i guess : )

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 04:00 PM
But did it add the line? apt-get update should make a fuz about no apt-keys

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 04:04 PM
But did it add the line? apt-get update should make a fuz about no apt-keys

Yes it adds but it stucks at terminal.I fixed the key and it works perfect after that.

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Maybe a stupid question, how do you fix the key? I have added my own key to the apt db, but it still complains.

binbash
November 13th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Maybe a stupid question, how do you fix the key? I have added my own key to the apt db, but it still complains.

It is not about your key.

Let me give you an example ( this is what caused me to stuck) :

You add wine repo :

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

and dont add the key via synaptics or command line.

Your installer script (AT LEAST FOR ME) stuck at terminal if you dont add wine key.

Please test it since it may not be a global problem (only for me :) )

irielion
November 13th, 2008, 04:33 PM
yea you're right i understand now. apt-get update should be a process that cannot hang.

Errol
January 10th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Hi Mark
I must be too much of a newbie because I cannot install intipunku.
I put the relevant lines in the repo and changed to intrepid (my distro). I typed sudo apt-get install intipunku and was informed that the package did not exist.
Where do I go from here?
Thanks
Errol

irielion
January 10th, 2009, 06:31 PM
Dont change it to intrepid. The packages are build for hardy, but work fine on intrepid. I guess you were too little of a newby ;). I however suggest you download the installer at intipunku.berlios.de because it can configure various extra packages. If you prefer this method, you can install them from the program.

Errol
January 10th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Downloaded the installer. How do I now install the program? Changed the sources.list to back to hardy.

irielion
January 10th, 2009, 08:53 PM
The installer, run it. I suppose it is executable and then just double click it, otherwise from console ./intipunku-installer...run

Errol
January 11th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I still haven't been able to install inyipunku.
When double clicking on the download it open kete and I get this message:The file /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run is a binary, saving it will result in a corrupt file.

If I open the terminal (I use kubuntu) I tried various ways to install and these are the results:
errol@errol-linux:~$ sudo /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
sudo: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: command not found
errol@errol-linux:~$ /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
bash: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: Permission denied
errol@errol-linux:~$ sudo /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall...run
sudo: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall...run: command not found
errol@errol-linux:~$ ./intipunku-installer...run
bash: ./intipunku-installer...run: No such file or directory
errol@errol-linux:~$ ./intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
bash: ./intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: No such file or directory
errol@errol-linux:~$ ~./intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
bash: ~./intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: No such file or directory
errol@errol-linux:~$ sudo /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
[sudo] password for errol:
sudo: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: command not found
errol@errol-linux:~$ /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run
bash: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall.run: Permission denied
errol@errol-linux:~$ /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall...run
bash: /home/errol/Downloads/intipunku-0.4-debinstall...run: No such file or directory
errol@errol-linux:~$

I am obviously doing something wrong but what????

irielion
January 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Huh, well i tried it in gnome. From commandline you should do: ./intipunku..run
No need for sudo. But remember if you write sudo command, it is looking in PATH. if you do sudo ./command it will find it. Good luck tell me if you have more problems.

Errol
January 12th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Hi Mark
I eventually managed to install and get Intipunku to work. At the moment when the program tries to read folders on a NTFS partition it doesn't read anything. On the Linux partition (ext3) it reads and sees my photos without a problem.
I am able to enter all my NTFS partitions from Ubuntu but not with Intipunku. Is this a known problem?

On more thorough investigation I now see that intipunku is not what I am looking for. It does the same thing that Digikam does, and that is make anther copy of ALL the photos it finds and keeps them in a separate file. That isn't what I'm looking for. Sorry.
What I hoped and thought Intipunku was is a program that catalogs photos on my various hard drives, leaves them in place and save a record of thumbnails where the photos are.
I THINK Kphotoalbum does this and am now investigating it.
Thanks for all your effort, Mark, in helping me!
Errol

irielion
January 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM
First, it does NOT make a copy of all photos, it makes thumbnails.
Concerning the NTFS i remember i heard of this problem before, however after testing it i had no problems. Please file a bug report in launchpad, with the output of the program when you run it in terminal.

Errol
January 14th, 2009, 07:29 AM
MArk, You're right of course. A copy of the thumbnails is made but as it creates a folder in Intipunku that is the same size as the one I have already on my NTFS drive, it isn't the way I want to work. My computer will become full of duplicate folders, instead of a database file which is much smaller than the original. I hope I'm making myself clear. It seems to me that KPhotoalbum does make a database file even though using KPhotoalbum has problems (for me) of its own. At the moment makig one database is complicated but hopefully things will change. The whole file (folder) import method of intipunku is the way I would like KPhotalbum to work.
Since my last posting I have installed KDE 4.2 (neon beta) and intipunka now has no problems "seeing" and importing from NTFS partitions.
Errol

irielion
January 14th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I dont understand what is your problem, it does NOT make any copy. It CREATES thumbnails, no copy. It doesnt make any new folders either. It just indexes the files in a database and generates thumbnails, and they dont use that much space anyway.

Errol
January 19th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I am obiously using the program incorrectly. I'll explain what I do to see the photos in Intipunku. From the outset I must explain that my background is Windows and my knowledge of the Linux file system is understood in that context. The other point I want to make is what I am trying to do. I am trying to find a linux progrm that will catalogue all my photos. I am looking (preferably) for a program that will thumbnail all my photos no matter where they are - whether on the computer or on an external drive.
What I did to "see" all my photos on my computer usng Intipunku was to use the "import photos" icon, find the relevant folder and import them. This creates a duplicate copy of that folder on my home drive in a folder called images. That duplicate copy is exactly the same size as the folder from where it was copied (in one case 220MB).I found no other way to "see" photo folders on my hard dive (most of the folders are on a NTFS partition) with Intipunku.
As I said above I must be doing something wrong but I didn't find explanations on how to look on the hard drives using Intipunku. I really like the look of Intipunku but I seem to need some "hand holding" to understad how to use it correctly.
Errol

irielion
January 19th, 2009, 11:07 AM
The import function is to import fotos to your current library. Intipunku has one central library folder. You can change this folder in the preferences.In the startup wizard i asked for a library folder, if this folder is empty, you are forced to import fotos. Maybe you went through that wizard too fast.

Btw, if you like this version the next version you;ll like more, it has more editor filter/corrections, you can make collages (piles and popart), and you can play videos!

Errol
January 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Mark sorry for being such a PITA but I don't understand what to do. Let's say I have a folder called "my_shots" on a drive somewhere with 200 photos in it. How do I get Intipunku to build the central library for itself. My central library in Intipunku is called "images". Maybe if you described a stage by stage description I would understand. When I do "import" in Intipunku, and mark the folder "my_shots", it builds another folder with the same name AND all the photos that were in "my_shots".

irielion
January 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, look, this is how i have my folders structured:

~/Images/album1,album2,album3/photos

so you should create a folder images, and put the photo containing folders in this central folder.

Errol
January 19th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Ah! I think I understand. ALL my PHOTOS have to be imported into a central intipunku folder? If that is the case I have the same problem with Intipunku that I have with Digikam. I don't want all my photos in one central place. There are too many to have on one hard drive. I have three HD's and photos are spread out between them.
I thought Intipunku would catalog my photos and enable me to leave tham on the drive they were on, while creating pointers (thumbnails) to the originals.
Am I now understanding the workings of Intipunku correctly?

irielion
January 19th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I guess, but remember you can try to make symlinks pointing out to the different dirs you have.

Errol
January 19th, 2009, 01:46 PM
symlinks???? how does that work?

irielion
January 19th, 2009, 03:16 PM
In computing, a symbolic link (also symlink or soft link) is a special type of file that contains a reference to another file or directory in the form of an absolute or relative path and that affects pathname resolution.

You make them with the command ln -s
In GNOME you can make them with make link in nautilus, however i dunno about kde.