PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] firefox update 3.0.4

Red-Shield
November 13th, 2008, 12:45 AM
can any one out there help me with the firefox up date cant see to figure out how to up date to the new version downloaded the file to desktop i am using hardy ubuntu ultimate... all help is welcomed

mkvnmtr
November 13th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I take it that this is something that did not come from the repositories. If not it becomes quite involved. You first need to install the tools to install then know where to install and also remove the old Firefox. Are you sure there are enough benefits in one update to make it a worthwhile project?

linnuxnub
November 13th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I agree with mkvnmtr, you should check the repositories if not the synaptic package manager I beleive has it there for you to download and install automatically.

a__l__a__n
November 13th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Firefox 3.0.4 fixes nine security vulnerabilities, including four critical, including remote code execution. If that's not important enough to warrant an update, I don't know what would be.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=5336

CoreyB.
November 13th, 2008, 05:40 PM
Will Firefox 3.0.4 be released officially for Ubuntu 8.10?

OrangeCrate
November 13th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Will Firefox 3.0.4 be released officially for Ubuntu 8.10?

Yes, it'll come through the normal update process within a couple of days...

CoreyB.
November 13th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Yes, it'll come through the normal update process within a couple of days...

I ask because GIMP 2.6.2 came out some time ago and I haven't seen anything for a GIMP upgrade.

KOld Iron
November 13th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I ask because GIMP 2.6.2 came out some time ago and I haven't seen anything for a GIMP upgrade.

Applications in Ubuntu will normally not be updated on a continuous base, i.e. no updates between releases. That's why so many are disappointed that OpenOffice 3.0 did not make it into 8.10, because now they need to wait for 9.04 (unless you install it manually). The same is true for Gimp 2.6.2.

Having said that, Firefox is the big exception, mainly because browser security is now such a big issue, that is not acceptable NOT to update. Therefore you will get Firefox security updates through the repositories and that is the preferred way to patch it in Ubuntu.

linnuxnub
November 13th, 2008, 09:33 PM
I received 3.0.4 firefox with my update to 8.10.

pennacook
November 13th, 2008, 10:43 PM
weird... I only got 3.0.3 in my 8.10 update.

zvacet
November 13th, 2008, 11:17 PM
@ linnuxnub

From whitch repo you get it?

@ pennacook

You can try this. (http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/)

CoreyB.
November 14th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Applications in Ubuntu will normally not be updated on a continuous base, i.e. no updates between releases. That's why so many are disappointed that OpenOffice 3.0 did not make it into 8.10, because now they need to wait for 9.04 (unless you install it manually). The same is true for Gimp 2.6.2.

Having said that, Firefox is the big exception, mainly because browser security is now such a big issue, that is not acceptable NOT to update. Therefore you will get Firefox security updates through the repositories and that is the preferred way to patch it in Ubuntu.

That's a bummer. I think Ubuntu would be much better off if it became a "rolling" (I saw that term used somewhere refering to OpenOffice 3) OS. One of the things I like about Ubuntu is that there are updates just about every day to fix bugs or improve security. Not updating to OpenOffice 3 is sort of understandable. It is a very major release and everything has to be tested. But an update like GIMP 2.6.2, which is primarily a bug fix release, I think should go through some testing and be released through the repositories. I wouldn't expect program updates to show up the same day as release, but a week or two of testing would be an acceptable timeframe. I think that would make the OS a lot better, but that is just my opinion, and I am very new to Linux.

mab1376
November 14th, 2008, 05:46 PM
3.0.4 is not in the repositories yet, it should be soon. I wish they would give an ETA on these things.

SuperSonic4
November 14th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Will it be in the hardy repositories? I'm using LTS hardy if that makes a difference

mab1376
November 14th, 2008, 05:52 PM
im sure they will release it for the LTS distros and current (8.10)

ellalan
November 16th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I do still have 3.0.3 in my 8.10 and waiting for the 3.0.4 hopefully before Christmas.

frankleeee
November 16th, 2008, 11:30 AM
If you install ubuntu tweak it will install 3.04 for you, look in the 3rd party section,
http://phorolinux.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-tweak-040-on-ubuntu.html
This is a link for hardy but you load the same 0.4.0 in intrepid look on the web for the download. Here is the intrepid deb.
http://ubuntu-tweak.com/downloads

ellalan
November 16th, 2008, 12:45 PM
I have installed Ubuntu Tweak 0.4.2,now what should I do to update my Firefox3.0.3.

frankleeee
November 16th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I have installed Ubuntu Tweak 0.4.2,now what should I do to update my Firefox3.0.3.

In Tweak click on applications-3rd party unlock then scroll to firefox tick it hit refresh, and the download should show up in update manager when you close tweak if not just hit check, firefox is now also in the software sources in system application 3rd party.

vandorjw
November 19th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Firefox 3.0.4 was installed through the repositories, but is now missing borders.

I think this is compiz's fault, but if anyone else has this problem, and knows a fix, let me know.

ziofil
November 24th, 2008, 06:41 PM
same thing here, missing borders!

VastOne
November 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Mine came through Firefox itself...Sometimes you have to go to Help in firefox and see if it is downloading from the check the updates and once you click it, it will finish.

can any one out there help me with the firefox up date cant see to figure out how to up date to the new version downloaded the file to desktop i am using hardy ubuntu ultimate... all help is welcomed