PDA

View Full Version : Miami Open-Source/Linux Group

Linux BASHer
December 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
I am reaching out to any Ubutnu and Open-Source user who lives in Miami, Florida (USA).

I am a Ubuntu and Mac user. What I despise is Windows and Microsoft's unethical hold on the industry. Every time I have a chance I try to reveal to others the alternatives out there. For some people, a Mac would better suit their needs, for others Linux does. But, the problem is that people don't know that usable alternatives are out there. And many people, I dare say most people, have absolutely no clue what Open-Source is.

Anyway, I've ordered CDs from ShipIt and distributed them and I continue to advocate Ubuntu as the best alternative to ******* on the PC. But, I am pretty much alone. I am surrounded by people who only know *******, and will not change. It seems like I have NO local support, and sometimes I feel like I am fighting in vain.

However, the other day I was talking to a friend of mine about Ubuntu in College, and someone else overheard me... Another Ubuntu user! We talked, traded e-Mail addresses. But we are still only two, and unlikely to find many more people by chance. I wonder how many Ubuntu users are out there, in my city, not knowing about each other. I am disgusted at how many Colleges completely ignore the existence of Open-Source and only teach M$ crap.

And so, I am reaching out for all you Ubuntu and Open-Source advocates in Miami, Fl in the hopes that we can create a local group to co-ordinate and multiply our lone efforts. As far as I know (and I have looked) there are no local Linux groups. So, let me know if you are from the area and are interested.

Thanks,
Linux BASHer

Linux BASHer
December 7th, 2005, 05:34 AM
Is there anyone else I can post this?

ubuntu27
December 7th, 2005, 07:11 AM
I understand how you feel.
yeah, I never went to Miami, but I suppose it is in the same boat as in my city/town.

I live in Oregon, and my college only teaches classes for Microsoft software.
I took a really basic course here in college and I was really surprised that my teacher did not even list Mozilla Firefox as one of the browsers available >< ah! She did list Safari and Netscape Browser (How is it called? Navigator?)

By the way, take a look at this: http://www.frappr.com/nutuubuntu

It's a list of Ubuntu User of some Forums

http://ubuntu.group.stumbleupon.com/

http://nu-tu-ubuntu.group.stumbleupon.com/

Maybe you/we should recruit /form more Ubuntu Communities.

Linux BASHer
December 7th, 2005, 02:01 PM
I understand how you feel.
yeah, I never went to Miami, but I suppose it is in the same boat as in my city/town.

I live in Oregon, and my college only teaches classes for Microsoft software.

It's got to be incredible ignorance, some kind of payback, or most likely a mixture of both. Otherwise, why not teach about alternatives, also?

I took a really basic course here in college and I was really surprised that my teacher did not even list Mozilla Firefox as one of the browsers available >< ah! She did list Safari and Netscape Browser (How is it called? Navigator?)

My class is even worse. They don't list Safari or Firefox. What I don't understand: Why list Netscape? All the Mozilla browsers are more advanced, and come from the same trunk.

It gets even worse. For types of software our book mentions "freeware" and "shareware", yet completely neglects to mention Open-Source. Kilobytes are defined as 1,000 bytes (instead of 1,024 bytes).

Terms and definitions are very arbitrary, and emphasis is put on mundane things, while more important things are ignored altogether. When talking about graphic formats, JPEG and GIF are mentioned, but not PNG. I mean, it's a very incomplete, inaccurate and biased book.

Thanks for the pointers, btw. I will take a look at them. It seems so difficult to actually find enough interested people, though.

ubuntu27
December 24th, 2005, 08:27 AM
My class is even worse. They don't list Safari or Firefox. What I don't understand: Why list Netscape? All the Mozilla browsers are more advanced, and come from the same trunk.
Yeah, why List netscape? It is "dead" already...

It gets even worse. For types of software our book mentions "freeware" and "shareware", yet completely neglects to mention Open-Source. Kilobytes are defined as 1,000 bytes (instead of 1,024 bytes).

Terms and definitions are very arbitrary, and emphasis is put on mundane things, while more important things are ignored altogether. When talking about graphic formats, JPEG and GIF are mentioned, but not PNG. I mean, it's a very incomplete, inaccurate and biased book.

Yeah, I know what you are saying...
You know, I was Windows guy, and knew about the existence about Linux, but not about the open source. I've learned only about the existences of Shareware, Freeware, demo, ...

Thanks for the pointers, btw. I will take a look at them. It seems so difficult to actually find enough interested people, though.

Yeah... and I think we/they are afraid tat we might lose our/their secrecy, anonymity.
You know, if we make a list of.. let's say all the Ubuntu users...
Somebody could just find the list and say: "Let us sabotage them..."

Get the picture? Hope I expressed well...