PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Queensland...

lerrup
December 2nd, 2005, 12:24 PM
Probably Brisbane and have noticed that there are some QLD based Ubuntuistas.

Any recommendations about where to live, what ISP to use, anything useful?

I'm from the UK so anything would be useful!

adam.tropics
December 2nd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Also from the Uk. Living in Cairns now for a little over 4 years . Anywhere in Queensland is a great place to live and work. A general guide.....Further North ==Hotter==Far more humid....especially round about now.

Plenty to do, plenty to see. Alot of fun all round. Good luck.

adriantry
December 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM
Probably Brisbane and have noticed that there are some QLD based Ubuntuistas.

Any recommendations about where to live, what ISP to use, anything useful?

I'm from the UK so anything would be useful!

You'll be welcome!

Ubuntu (and Kubuntu) work fine here on the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast is about half an hour south of Brisbane. I spent a year working in an area just south of Brisbane called Logan, which was a comfortable drive along the motorway.

If you enjoy English winters, you should have come in winter, although the weather has been relatively mild so far this year. You might want to make sure the place you are living has an air conditioner. My home doesn't! After almost six years in Queensland I'm almost starting to acclimatise! Sweating's good for you, isn't it? (Unless you drip all over your new Sony laptop . . .)

Well, I hope you're move goes smoothly, and again, welcome!

Adrian

The Mekon
December 3rd, 2005, 12:13 AM
I am another Pom who came to Australia in 1960 and lived in Adelaide for 38 years before retiring to Queensland.

We now live in Tewantin which is in Noosa Shire, a very popular - if up market resort area 130 km north of Brisbane. Away from the coast it is quite rural and there are problems with getting Broadband internet connections. We were on a waiting list for two years before getting access to one of the available/updated line connections. My next door neighbour has been told that she is on a waiting list of about six months!

Apart from that Queensland is a great place to live but can have some extreme climate episodes. In Noosa, last Thursday, we had 264 mm of rain in 2 hours which caused some problems!

Brian

majikstreet
December 3rd, 2005, 02:12 AM
All I can think of is "Crocidile Hunter" - I have nothing to do with Austrailia... just randomly thought of that!

lerrup
December 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the replies. Glad to know my Ubuntu will still work down under ;).

Yeah, I Keep thinking of Crocodiles to...