PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Question on upgrading to 8.10

fullerama
November 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
I'm a real beginner, so pardon if this is a stupid question, but I just want to clarify before I upgrade.

I'm presently running Ubuntu 8.0.4 and would like to upgrade to 8.10. When I do this upgrade, will it affect any data or settings I have in my curent system?

Of course I'll back up important things, but can I expect a clean install of the newer version? Or does it work sort of like those "updates" from Microsoft, which leave your information intact?

Also, if anyone has any idea if the Broadcom wireless problems are any easier with 8.10, I'd like to know that.

Again, sorry for the dumb question, but I just want to know what kind of time this installation will take and what changes it will make in my data.

Thanks in advance. The help on this forum is outstanding.

linnuxnub
November 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
To answer your question about data loss during the 8.0.4 to 8.10. upgrade.

When I did my upgrade all my files remained intact, all that was changed were the new features and a couple settings (eg.:desktop background). So it works like an update from microsoft (SPIT!). I assume your are referring to upgrading using the Internet from your 8.0.4. installation. If you use the iso image i do not believe your files and setting will be kept.

As for your wireless problem; in 8.0.4 i could not get any wireless working on my laptop but once I upgraded to 8.10. everything worked fine for me.

Pumalite
November 12th, 2008, 09:16 PM
If you have room in your hard drive; make some space for 8.10 and boot it with the rest for a while. If you like it; you can erase 8.04 and expand your 8.10 partition. Your settings don't work that well with 8.10
In any case; if you decide to go ahead with the upgrade: have your 8.04 fully updated first; also remove all third parties from your /etc/apt/sources.list; including the Medibunt6u folder if you have one.

fullerama
November 12th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Linnuxnub: Yes, I'm going to upgrade from the internet. Good to know your wireless issues disappeared. Hope mine will, too.

Pumalite: Thanks for the heads up on the third party stuff. I'll check that beforehand.

Many thanks!