PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Can't uninstall Netbeans6.1 beta

danjones
November 12th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I installed netbeans6.1 beta from a .deb file because the netbeans that was available to install via add/remove wouldn't allow me to create any projects or anything.

This all worked fine until I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 yesterday. Now when netbeans displays code, all the words overlap and I can't understand it. So I figured I'd uninstall it and download the newest version of netbeans.

But I can't uninstall it. I had a look on synaptic but the version of netbeans I have installed isn't there. I tried

$ sudo apt-get --purge remove netbeans
but it doesn't seem to think netbeans is installed.

How do I uninstall it?

Thanks,
DanJ

prshah
November 12th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I installed netbeans6.1 beta from a .deb file

Locate the same netbeans .deb file; Use this file with dpkg; Eg
sudo dpkg --remove netbeans.deb (Or use "--purge" to remove netbeans new config files also)

danjones
November 12th, 2008, 07:15 PM
problem is I can't remember what the full name of the .deb file was. I don't suppose theres quick way to list all .deb packaged is there??

DanJ

prshah
November 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
problem is I can't remember what the full name of the .deb file was. I don't suppose theres quick way to list all .deb packaged is there??

Open a terminal (Applications, Accessories, Terminal) and give the command

find ~ -iname *.deb Assuming the file is saved somewhere in your home directory. If its not in the home directory, expand the search to search _all_ directories (Warning will take a long time)
find / -iname *.deb

danjones
November 14th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Ok, I've uninstalled. Thanks for the help.