PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Which card is better supported in Ubuntu 8.10 x86 ?

scorpix
November 12th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have nVidia 8800GTS 640 Mb graphics card and now i have also ATi 4850 1 Gb card.

i would like to install Ubuntu 8.10 x86 on my computer, so my question is, which card to use with Ubuntu ?

Which is better supported ? I qould like to use desktop effects and compiz, so i can fully utilize my card.

Please help me with my dilema.

Thanks

Alen

Skripka
November 12th, 2008, 06:53 PM
I have to say--compared to their Windows drivers, the ATi Linux drivers suck....by that I mean primative--all the more advanced features (standard in Windows) are completely absent in Linux CCC....AMD/ATi chooses to do this BTW, people have been ranting about it for some time-though AMD/ATi finally realized that their crappy drivers were driving away LOTS of customers, so they shaped up their Windows software.

I'd stick with Nvidia-they write better drivers, it may not be as advanced a card-but the software end is much better.

m_l17
November 12th, 2008, 07:30 PM
+1 Nvidia

Eddie Wilson
November 12th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Sorry but nvidia has just taken a back seat to Ati. Ati has much better support on linux now than nvidia. I was having too much trouble with the new nvidia drivers and installed an Ati 3850. No more video problems at all. I used Nvidia for years with linux and it always worked better than Ati but that has change. Its up to you but I would give the Ati card a shot.

binbash
November 12th, 2008, 09:06 PM
As far as i know at the moment ubuntu uses ati's unreleased beta drivers, and nvidia is far better

4t0m1c_w07f
November 12th, 2008, 09:29 PM
Definatly 1+ to the nvidia team!

:guitar::guitar::guitar:

Skripka
November 12th, 2008, 09:31 PM
As far as i know at the moment ubuntu uses ati's unreleased beta drivers, and nvidia is far better

Ummm, all ATi driver releases are usually beta quality :lolflag: