PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Keyboard focus problems after 8.10 update

joesapo
November 12th, 2008, 06:09 PM
I recently updated Ubuntu 8.04 to 8.10 with relatively few problems. One nagging issue, however, is irritating me immensely.

I have a dual-screen setup using two separate desktops, both using Compiz and using the Nvidia restricted drivers. Prior to my update I didn't have any problems with keyboard focus tracking between the two screens, but now when trying to switch applications the keyboard won't follow along.

For example, I will start a terminal session in monitor ONE, type a few things, then open a terminal session on monitor TWO. This works fine, but when I click back on the first terminal session on montior ONE the keyboard is still focused on the second terminal session.

Everything else seems to be working okay, as I can click menus items, buttons, select text, etc. As long as I stay on a particular desktop, there are no problems.

The only way I have found to move keyboard focus is to start a NEW application on the screen I wish to use. Usually I will just start a new terminal session, close it, and then continue on with whatever I'm doing.

Any help on this matter would be great, as it is very distracting.

Thanks!

joesapo
November 13th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Bump!

joesapo
November 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
...solved by disabling Compiz, deleting the .compiz directory out of my $HOME, and reconfiguring.

This also solved a small problem with the window decorator buttons wigging out and flashing occasionally.